oil burning

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

willipig

oil burning

Post by willipig »

Now what's up with it? Having had new rocker shafts made by Mike Dowley and having discovered that UR 4313 still had the early type cam timing( I've fitted a 12/12 type from Mike now) the damned thing now burns huge quantities of oil, which it didn't before.....what have I done wrong? Head wasn't disturbed, no oil in water and water level stays fine...Following rocker/cam work it started fine, plenty of oil pressure but within 2 minutes the entire surrounding area was thick with smoke!!! No 1 cylinder was stuffed with oil, no 2 nearly as bad with a trace also in no 3....No 4 is clean.....head gasket? presume not as oilways are external ....piston rings ?compressions are all between 95 and 110 psi so again presume not...anyway, they couldn't all go at once.....Can only conclude oil is coming down from the top at the front into the bores, but how?Valves weren't disturbed , rocker clearances were reset All rocker gear etc appears correctly assembled....oil holes all in line etc....can anyone suggest? looks like its going to miss the VSCC LCES weekend in 3 days time....Bill Piggott
ian judd

Re: oil burning

Post by ian judd »

Is it possible that you've overfilled the sump and the crankshaft is chucking oil up the bores?

Ian
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Just from what I've learned from working with other "stuff"
Is there any kind of breather on these engines to allow for any slight blow by on the rings. If so check that thats not blocked, as the crank case will pressurise and it will force oil up the bores.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I presume you didn't accidentally remove the oil restrictor pin in the head? If not, it might be worth checking one is fitted.

To limit oil draining down the valve stems to the guides, the valve caps should have shrouds fitted over the tops of the springs.

Andrew, the crankcase is ventilated via holes near the top of the oil filler neck. If the crankcase was pressurizing, you'd see fumes exiting here.
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Of course it... Why didn't I think of that :oops:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So Bill's fabric saloon missed its LCES debut at the Welsh this weekend - he ended up going in his Bristol 401. Now the Minor won't start at all. Mike Dowley had suggested that one of the oil drain pipes from the head might have been blocked, leaving too much oil sloshing around the valve stems.

Anyone else got any ideas for Bill?
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Just out of interest how much is a 12/12 cam to buy? Mine is very worn and could do with replacing, also you you have to replace the rockers at the same time??