LCES Welsh

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ColinWLee

LCES Welsh

Post by ColinWLee »

I have entered the VSCC Welsh Light Car and Edwardian Section this year again. It's nice to see a relatively strong contingent of OHC minors (7 by my count).
The number of Austin Seven's of various types made me do a double take though :shock:
There are about 40 entered this year and, whilst they are perfectly servicable vehicles, I cannot for the life of me understand why All types (even custom jobs known as "specials") are eligible for membership of the VSCC whilst side valve Minors are not. :?
I am relatively new to the scene, and I understand there has been fierce debate on the issue before my time, I would love to know the genuine / logical reasoning behind that decision.
Perhaps I will be less "anti A7" if I knew. Maybe not... :wink:
Either way, we have seven better than average chances of demonstrating the superiority of MMs over A7s once again in Wales.
See you there :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: LCES Welsh

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter McFadyen images of the weekend. There were FIFTY Austin 7's entered - apparently it looked like an Austin 7 rally. :shock:

http://www.petermcfadyen.co.uk/#/galler ... our11-102/
ColinWLee

Post by ColinWLee »

It was a very good weekend. Well organised as usual and great fun. The weather was kind although it became bitterly cold in the mist at the tops of the hills.

Regarding the numbers of A7's. I made a gentle quip to an aquaintance that owns an A7, along the lines of "the Austin Seven owners club didn't seem to have as many guests this year" :lol: and was duly sent to Coventry for a while. I discovered that was a sensitive subject. Later on I overheard an A7 owner apologising to someone that he had brought an A7.

Shame really because there were a few lovely and rare examples of A7 which were effectively drowned by the masses.

I was awarded the Douglas Fitzpatrick Trophy for the best performance in 2010 in a non A7. Bit of a shock really because I only entered the one event last year.
"The Doorstop" as it is affectionately known is a piston from a Zeppelin 24 litre V12. So it will do its job stubbing toes for the next year beside my back door. 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hearty congrats on winning ther Doorstep, Colin! A few more Zeppelin parts and you'll have a real project on your hands. :o

As for all those Sevens, we don't want any less of them - we just want more of everything else - including Minors!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Well done Colin. Must try and get my two seater cammy put together before the next LCES event to give you some competition next time out.