VMR Summer Rally 2011

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: VMR Summer Rally 2011

Post by Ian Grace »

Big step forward today - I finally got the nav rally route tracings away to the RAC MSA and their Gloucestershire regional liaison officer for approval. A third copy goes to the local police via the MSA Competition Authorization Office.

The route is going to start - and finish - at Sudeley castle in Winchcombe, so the cream teas and results will be at the Castle. We started from the Castle car park in 2003, and have not been back since. Without giving too much away, the route will all be to the north of Winchcombe this time, so no getting your feet wet at the Kineton fords this time! This part of the Cotswolds is spectactular with far-reaching views from the crest of the ridge, so it also makes for a superb scenic tour route. And the lunchtime pub stop will be a new venue as well. And because of the number of interesting clue stops along the way, the route will be a little shorter this year, allowing more time to enjoy the various stops.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Regarding the GoPro video camera, I am looking for people who are mildly PC literate and someone with a laptop with DVD drive who could split the day between them into 2 hour stints managing the camera video downloading/DVD burning. I'll be brining the blank DVD's with me. Office space can be provided. Any takers? I have about a dozen marshals for Prescott so far, but we will need to man two gates, the ticket office and the VMR tent - all split into 2 hour stints. Thanks to those who have already volunteered on their entry forms. The Prescott marshals look after all the trackside marshaling for us.

And remember our tradition - all marshals (and videographers) will earn FREE BEER on Sunday night. :o :o :o

Incidentally, both Allan Rhodes of Track Car Photography and Phil Jones (arch VSCC photographer) will be present during the day.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Along with the sad news about Bev this morning was a further e-mail from Ailsa at the RAF CT, which could be very good news:

"I have some good news. It is looking hopeful that we may have a Lancaster for you. Currently the Lancaster is due to fly in, do its display and fly off on the Saturday, so we are hoping that it may be able to fit something in for you. Once we know where it is in the RIAT programme, we will hopefully be able to give you more news."

How appropriate, as the Pre-War Prescott advert header is a Lanc with its crew and their Minor.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The great publicity in the June Automobile, entries are flowing in - this is definitely going to be a day not to miss. I can't wait for the sight - and sound of the Lanc over the hill - will definitely bring a lump to the throat.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

VERY exciting news just in regarding the Skinner/Triangle Special. It has been sold and will be a highlight of our Summer Rally. You will be amazed when you hear who has bought it, but I am bound to secrecy for the moment. :o
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Don;t you already have enough cars/projects Ian............;)!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ha! At 65 grand plus, I decided to pass on it. Frank Ashley wanted me to buy it and let him be my works driver. :o :o :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So the VSCC Light Car Section has published our invite to Pre-War Prescott in full in their latest magazine - the very same text that their head office refused to publish in the main club newsletter because of Loton!

Also, we have secured a very prestigious sponsorship package which will significantly enhance the event - full details will be released on Monday, but it is very good news all round.

I have also heard from the RAC MSA who have allocated our nav rally event number 26512JU17, which is more good news. The route is slightly changed because agreement could not be reached with Sudeley Castle, who wanted GBP 4-50 per head for us to use their car park for the rally start and to return for cream teas. It was free for us last time. So we will be starting the nav rally and scenic tour from the Orchard at Prescott (not the Paddock, because the BOC will be setting up for their event later that day in the Paddock) but hot drinks and bacon butties will still be laid on for us in the Paddock, as last year!

More updates and breaking news on the weekend can be followed at http://www.prewarprescott.com/latest-event-news.html.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So I have now been able to announce our main sponsor for Pre-War Prescott - the SU Carburetter Company - see the home page.

This is tremendous news which will really raise the profile of the event and enable us to spread the word much more widely, as well as generating significant interest on the day. I am not yet at liberty to say what car they are bringing with them, but it will be well worth coming to see. And of course, if you have any carb. issues or want a carb. rebuilt - or SU fuel pump issues, bring it/them along on the day. I'll be bringing over my downdraught carb. for the McEvoy for them to work their magic on. 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Has anybody got a tent that we could use at Prescott for the Register? If so, it will save the hassle of hiring one. Doesn't have to be massive - just big enough for a couple of chairs and a trestle table. Just thought I'd ask before I go ahead and rent one.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

We're in receipt of a number of new offers this year from various companies to provide some very nice awards/prizes for the Summer Rally/Pre-War Prescott. This raises the question - what should they be awarded for? Since awards usually reflect the flavour of events, it is probably worth putting some thought into how we handle this. I am trying to put together a small group of members who can address the issue, but input from entering members would also be very valuable, so we know what it is that people would like to compete for!

For example, if we go for the usual concours/beauty pageant awards, then that kinda cuts across our founding ethos that we want to see people use their cars, rather than fret about polished chassis rails or correct wiring clips, and so on - having arrived on a trailer from 20 miles away. A long distance award might be a good one, as might be the scruffiest car that arrives under its own steam? Similar suggestions/ideas most welcome. :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So, as per the piece on the home page, I'm now able to announce that the Triangle Special has been acquired by Burlen Fuel Systems and they are bringing it to the rally. A very appropriate new owner - as they say in their press release, the car is finally coming home!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the latest on entries.

To date, we have the following VMR entries:

Colin and Catherine Lee - 1930 Minor saloon
Andrew Batey - 1934 Minor 2-seater
Simon Hodgins - 1930 Minor saloon
Mike Wood - 1932 Minor 2-seater
Roger and Inka Burnett - 1930 M Type Sportsmans Coupe
Frank Ashley - 1929 M Type
Nigel Stroud - 1929 M Type
David Hinds - 1930 M Type

David Roscoe had entered his Semi-sports but has had to cancel, as his wife has been schedued for knee replacement surgery the week of the rally.

So right now, M Types entries are equalling Minors! And we have SIX Austin 7's entered. :o

Of course there is the Triangle Special - but I don't think we can really count as a Minor any more!

I am expecting an entry from Ronald and Heather Hogg and also one from Tim Brown, and John Pallister has entered, but may bring his modern if his saloon isn't finished. Are there any other takers?

Total entries are now over 50 and include plenty of other MG's, Rileys, Alvii, Frazer Nashes, Fords (including the 1926 Frontenac-Ford Racer), Austins, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lagonda, Lancia and Rovers.

As for Sunday, so far we have four entries in the nav rally and eight on the tour, so the tour continues to be more popular than the nav rally, which won't be run again this year if we don't get to 12 which is the lower cut-off for the RAC MSA.

Rounding off the numbrs, we already have 35 for the BBQ/Swing night which will be a great evening, and 24 cream teas on Sunday afternoon!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Ian, would it be ok to send our entry out with mum...??? or is that too late.... i don;t think i'm gonna be ab;e to attend on the saturday, i'm having tow car trouble.... and don;t wanna do two trips on the land rover due to about 15mpg!!!

Ronald.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

No problem Ronald - that will work fine. Looking forward to her visit. I'll put you down for the nav rally - starting in the Prescott Paddock like last year. I gave up on Sudeley Castle - they wanted to charge per person! AND we can get Ciaran's wonderful bacon butties and tea at Prescott Sunday morning!

Ian