The new Register Magazine

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

The new Register Magazine

Post by Ian Grace »

As you probably read in the Newsletter, the Magazine is getting an extreme makeover for our second decade! No more hand-made copies with covers printed one at a time on the thoroughly worn out desktop inkjet (I've been through five of these since M 102 - the first Magazine that had colour covers!). And no more photocopied pages with poor quality photos - everything will be printed professionally right here in Seattle. The quality will be orders of magnitude better and there will even be some colour content inside. I'll be going over a selection of prototyped formats with the printers during the first week in January with a view to getting M 137 out in February. The basic size will remain unchanged at 8/5" x 11" but just about everything else will change.

So now would be a great time to send over material for M 137, as I'll be working up the content over the Christmas break! Similarly, if anyone has suggestions for new articles or columns, now would be a very good time to air them!

As for our first decade of Magazine, we have published 36 of these. Starting with M 111, these were also available on CD, and then starting two years ago, we started uploading the Magazine in .pdf format to the Members' Area of the website. Over Christmas I am going to see if it is possible to assemble all 36 Magazines onto a single CD (or it may have to be a DVD) and make them available to members. I will have to do some work on the original .doc files of the first ten magazines, but I should have the technology. But I do need help with one small item. For some inexplicable reason, I am missing all my files for M 120. If anyone has M 120 on CD, could they please let me borrow the disk, so that I can assemble a complete run? Thanks in advance.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: The new Register Magazine

Post by Ian Grace »

Quick update. Having carefully reviewed various options and draft print runs with the printers yesterday, more prototyping is under way, but it is looking like the Magazine will extend to 44 pages and will be printed in full colour from cover to cover! The format will go to A5, which is the same size as the VSCC Newsletter, for those that receive it. The font and point size will be adjusted to suit. Even at A5, the print quality will be vastly superior to the existing 8.5" x 11" Magazine, and the print quality of the colour images is stunning. The smaller format will greatly reduce shipping/postage costs and this is what will permit a full colour Magazine. M 137 will be the first of the new format Magazines and will go to print mid March for publication at the end of March. So please send in any copy that you may have ASAP. If all goes to plan, the 2011 Yearbook will also, for the first time, be printed in full colour as well.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 137 in the new format is progressing apace and is being expanded to 44 pages. The extra four pages have been allocated to a new article - Restoration Reports, which will free up space in Register Ramblings where restoration news is usually reported, and give a lot more space for news on the many cars that are currently undergoing restoration work. If you have any restoration news and/or photos that you would like to see in print, please send them in ASAP - and keep them coming for future issues - thanks. I am plannning to get M 137 to the printers the third week in March and have it published by 31st March.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just back from the print shop. Took the final version of the Magazine in on my thumb drive and depositied onto their machine. The 19 Word articles will now be strung into a single, massive .pdf file for proofing tomorrow. They have software that then lays out the A5 pages on an A3 sheet in the correct page order and orientation (including landscape pages) so that when it is all printed, chopped up and stapled, it looks like a Magazine and all the pages are in order. We'll see! I'm excited to see the finished product. It looks OK on the PC screen, but only when it is printed will it be possible to make a full assessment. It should be ready to ship Friday or early next week.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just had a call from the printers. I was waiting for the .pdf proof to be e-mailed over, but they actually printed off a test copy of M 137. So I dashed down the road to take a look.

It is STUNNING! My God! It will blow you away when you see it - compared to the old photocopied version. Full colour throughout and the photos have all come out superbly. The 8 pt Arial Narrow font is also perfectly readable, which I was slightly worried about, as we have gone to A5 - or more accurately, half US letter. In terms of print quality, it is up there with the VSCC Bulletin, but printed on better quality paper!

It will be printed tomorrow, then goes to another company for stapling (long story, don't worry about it!), and they take about 72 hours, so I should have it by next Tuesday and in the post Wednesday to Bev and Alex.

Now on to M138 - so please send any and all material for that ASAP. I'll be hand carrying that one over in July when I come over for the rally. And as I get used to the new print technology, I can make further refinements - for example, I can now print to the edge of the paper. So M 138 should be even better than M 137. 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The printers just called again. Collection was scheduled for next Tuesday but they have them all done already so Idashed down the road and picked them up. So I can now get them all packed at the weekend and get them shipped Monday. 8)

M 138 is now being started, so send over material as soon as you like.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Another Spot the Difference competition - compare the photo on the home page with that below, taken about six hours later - chaos from order!