Michael McEvoy

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Michael McEvoy

Post by Ian Grace »

Last year, Peter Plant acquired the McEvoy prototype RC 300 from the ailing Tony Mattinson, who sadly passed away earlier this year. Among other things, Tony was an accomplished motoring historian and had spent the last ten years or so accumulating material relating to Col. Michael McEvoy in order to write his biography. McEvoy was a man of very many parts, for example, being the prime mover behind rersurrecting Volkswagen after the end of hostilities in Germany in 1945. This amazing story was told in the VMR Magazine some time back. Tony's widow has agreed to release all of Tony's research to Peter in the New Year. Watch this space for further news.
ayf395

Re: Michael McEvoy

Post by ayf395 »

A little late but my browser has only just allowed me to join the forum.
One of the Brooklands volunteers is Jimmie Simpson's daughter and Michael was her uncle by marriage to Jimmie's sister. I have just been able to scan in the pictures she has from her father which includes a nice one of Michael as a Major during the war. I have to be careful about family relationships when discussing the pictures as when I asked who the people were in a picture of TT winners in 1950 she mentioned Uncle Graham (Walker) who was not her uncle but a family friend and this applied to most of the others she could identify.
I think I also have a picture of him in 1925 at a motorcycle meeting from Pat Driscoll's album.
Roger
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Michael McEvoy

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter Plant spoke to Karen Mattinson last night - she is sending Tony's paperwork over to her son in Shrewsbury next month for Peter to collect. Tony was in the process of writing Michael McEvoy's biography. Peter is making good progress with RC 300, engine rebuild is next.