If I'm not mistaken..........

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ronald

If I'm not mistaken..........

Post by Ronald »

Pretty sure these are Minor wheels...???

Although they are six stud............. interesting project as well!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-GN-Chevro ... 3a61506934
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: If I'm not mistaken..........

Post by Ian Grace »

Amazing that a pile of (s)crap like this can be VSCC eligible, but not the McEvoy Minor. I'm not against the time-honoured hobby of special building, but where do you draw the line? And how can you justify such a shoddy concoction being eligble for events when genuine pre-war specials with 80 year histories are banned?!

But wait a minute, I could tear the body off my McEvoy, scrap the rest of the car and fit the body on this chassis and then I'd be good to go with another kinda McEvoy special. :o :o :o

As I suspected, there is a heated debate about this car going on on the VSCC forum.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ronald,
I do not think they are minor wheels. The valve hole is in the wrong place, the spoke lacing looks wrong and the rims look too wide. Perhaps they have just been made. :lol:
ashford

Post by ashford »

I think the only morris component is probably the radiator shell - flat nose cowley?

The chevrolet four cylinder engines are interesting things made famous in the States on the dirt tracks by John Gerber and on the salt flats by Bob Rufi. They both used the earlier block and three port head though. The 1926 / 27 engine in this car is perhaps the least tunable with only one exhaust port.

To my mind there should be a place in the vscc for specials like this as well as rare original cars like Ian's McEvoy.

When you study old motoring literature, you realise there is a precedent for almost every concoction of parts and that there have always been a mix of well built and shoddy specials, attractive and plain ugly. Some were slow and some were fast. The only slight problems I see in the vscc today, is that of the continued destruction of original cars and the balance of different cars. For example, while there were a few pointed tail racing looking hornets built pre-war, there is now a grid full and original grandprix cars have nearly all dissappeared.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Simon wrote:Ronald,
I do not think they are minor wheels. The valve hole is in the wrong place, the spoke lacing looks wrong and the rims look too wide. Perhaps they have just been made. :lol:

I kinda meant the wheel centres really.... would be daft to buiild something like that on old rims and spokes.........

I also don;t like the look of the negative camber on the rear wheel in one of the pics, i suspect its not bolted up tight...LOL
ashford

Post by ashford »

looking again, you may be right! I had presumed they were Jowett as the advert suggests the front stub axles are Jowett. May also be Triumph super seven with extra holes drilled to fit what ever the hubs are.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Could even be Austin Seven! - I have a Minor/M type wheel that has a standard 3 hole setup for Morris/M and another set of holes that fit an Austin Seven hub!!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

It seems to have morphed itself into something different........

Now has a fabric covered body.....

and you can now see that the rear wheels don;t match the fronts..... oh, and the grill is totally different aswell..... maybe he's got wind of the queries about it, and thought he'd better make it look more complete and kind of older..........