A Swallow replica?

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

A Swallow replica?

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's something I am considering - producing a replica of the one-off Swallow-bodied OHC Minor saloon.

There is a company in Jersey that specializes in Austin 7 Swallows, including replica bodies for both open and saloon models. It would not take much to adapt the design to suit the Minor chassis, wings, bonnet, etc., add an OHC instrument panel, and so on. A special radiator would not be required. Then add the sumptuous interior of the Swallow 7.

Undoubtedly not a project for the feint-hearted, but the end result, if executed professionally, would be simply stunning.

Would anyone else like to produce such a car, thereby reducing the cost of the coachwork exercise?

Here's the company's website:

http://www.leriche.com/Gallery/index.ph ... in_Swallow

And here is the only known image of the original Swallow-bodied Minor:

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: A Swallow replica?

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the Swallow ash frame. No more complicated than a standard Minor saloon frame.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the Autocar street photo that the retouched image at the top of this thread came from.

This car was exhibited as an ‘experiment’ at Henlys, Euston Road in the autumn of 1930. This photograph appeared in the Autocar of 21st November 1930. But note the flat lower edge of the bonnet just visible behind the front wing, indicating a 1929 season chassis was used. There was an article about this car in VMR Magazine M 109.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This project came a little closer to reality today when I was directed to an original Swallow saloon V-windscreen for sale for GBP 95. If this materialises, then this could definitely launch the project.

I was also reminded about the Standard Swallow, whose restoration was serialised in Practical Classics about 20 years ago. The restoration was brought together in a book in 1987. Title: 1930's Car Restoration. Publisher: PPG Publishing Ltd., available from Abebooks. Something for the Christmas stocking.
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ian

I too have contemplated such a project , especially with having a swallow tourer, and I also have acquired a saloon screen and spare wings. I have obtained the Standard Swallow restoration book and read some of it with interest.

I feel that the cost of a saloon body , even just the ash frame , from leRiche in Jersey may be prohibitive unless you have a good few pennies to hand, but agree that it is slightly more complex than a minor saloon.

Perhaps , one day .................

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well, I'm in luck. I have managed to secure this Swallow screen. Interestingly, it it 2 inches wider than the Austin 7 Swallow screen, so it should be just about the perfect width for a Minor. One is tempted to muse that it may possibly be the actual screen from the original Swallow Minor, but it is much more likely came from another make - perhaps even a Standard. We'll probably never know.

Tony, are your wings from a Swallow 7? The design of the Minor wings looks very similar to those of the Swallow 7.

So now I am on the hunt for a suitable chassis - I'll need a chassis, running gear, power train, scuttle shroud, fuel tank, bonnet. I don't need a radiator, wings or instrument panel - or screen!

A LeRiche frame would be prohibitively expensive - I'd construct one myself. Paneling (in aluminium) won't be cheap.

Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

I think this kind of replica is a really pleasing idea. I saw an Austin Swallow at the Myreton Motor Museum in the summer and it is a very pretty car.

The Standard Swallow certainly prompts thoughts of Wolseley Hornet possibilities.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And the really nice thing about the Swallows is their sumptuous interior. I think there is a good photo of an interior in (the late) Nick Walker's Coachbuilding book. Something akin to the M Type Sportsman's Coupe interior - I always admire Roger Burnett's Coupe interior when I see it.

Now I'm off for that pint!
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ian

Your screen looks like one from a Standard Swallow rather than the A7 Swallow. The A7 Swallow windscreen is like the one shown on the Minor picture which is divided half way up the drivers side.

In the Standard Swallow article from Practical Classics the windscreen does look exactly like the one that you have. Is there any possibility of you showing the whole screen ? The central semicircular piece for the wiper on the bottom rail certainly is the same as the Standard Swallow , whereas the A7 and Minor one has the wiper on the top rail.

I wonder how similar both the Standard Swallow body and the A7 Swallow body were , and if they were adapted much to fit a Minor chassis.

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Tony,

I have about ten images of the screen, but they are about 4 megs each so will take a bit of processing. I'll e-mail you what I have.

Ian