Just because something is ..'new'.........

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ronald

Just because something is ..'new'.........

Post by Ronald »

Don;t expect it to last.........

The engine in MT was totally rebuilt about 2 yrs ago, it was done less than 1000 miles since, the other day i could hear what first sounded like a creak when i was in the garage, it turned out to be water dripping from the engine.... further investigation revealed that it was coming from the drivers side water jacket..... whis=ch was brand new 2 yrs ago, and plated of some sort..... yup, in 2 yrs it has corroded right through........ the old ones would surely have lasted longer than that........ i even use anti freeze in the engine now to try and stop corrosion.... maybe i shouldn't bother..!!

Apart from that, the engine seems really good.... it bloomin ought to be aswell!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Just because something is ..'new'.........

Post by Ian Grace »

Good grief Ronald! Is there something in the water in Dorset?

I've used Mike Dowley's on several engines in the past - they are cad plated - which should last, i would have thought. Where did you get yours from?

At least it wasn't coming from the block, which I feared when I started to read your post!
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ron

Stainless steel ones available from Vintage MG Parts.

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Ian, i suspect what has happened is that putting the anti freeze in has released some sludge from the radiator, which was built up around the lower edge of the rubber gasket, and that is where the corrosion has occurred......

Tony, thanks for the link, how come it took 80 yrs for someone to think of it...!!!!!

I will be getting a pair for sure, and i'll paint them black so they don;t look too bling!!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Having sold my Minor I have been told that another core plug is leeking!!! These are also not two years old. Not good enough. I have two spares and will replace them for Simon Tuke the new owner. By the way I have half a dozen new sv water manifolds if anyone wants one. Highlander.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Well, new plates have arrived, £46 all in with new gaskets and stainless bolts washers etc..... anyone got any idea how to stop water coming down the threads....????
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Thick paint. Highlander.
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Hylomar :idea:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And use plain washers. I used spring washers once, and water leaked from every bolt through the split in the washers!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

The plates came with plain and spring washers.............. i used then both, i was hoping that the ruber gasket would be tight enough around the bolt to stop any water passage, i don;t want to paint the plates either, i know this isn;t quite period for a minor, but why paint something when they look so nice in their brushed finish......

I might just remove the 'one' leaking bolt asnd smear the thread with hylomar, and see if that cures it............

The car is now in hibernation, tucked away at the back of the garage whilst i re-chassis my land rover over xmas.........