JF 4238 1933 Minor Saloon

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Jpallis001

Re: JF 4238 1933 Minor Saloon

Post by Jpallis001 »

To reverse the starter motor I needed to rotate the end cap through 180 degrees - now turns the engine over quite nicely. Connected a few wires + petrol pump and gave it a go, after cranking for oil pressure (35psi). A few splutters and a lot of petrol dripping out of carb. Battery on charge; will take carb to bits tomorrow and try again.
Attempted Start.jpg
Attempted Start.jpg (125.55 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
halbe

Post by halbe »

Good luck. Hope everything works.

Regards
Halbe
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

thanks - a video clip if there is nothing on TV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq9nYT6LVXk
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

So close to starting, better luck tomorrow. 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sooo close! it is firing, so it WILL go!

Reminds me of Nick Grace's Spitfire T9 2-seater down at St. Merryn in Cornwall in the eighties. We tried for half an hour to get it to fire up - pops and bangs and a bit of white smoke from the Merlin 60, but it just would not pick up. Then we realised that the mag switches in the back cockpit were off - most Spits don't have a rear seat - or rear switches. Once we we turned them on she fired up instantly. Unforgettable sight (and sound) seeing this aeroplane - with its tail tied to the ground, bouncing round like a rag doll with the engine at full chat - and with the main wheels 9" off the deck. Some days, life is good.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And by co-incidence, son Wiliam just sent me this moments ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTTHZOJM ... ature=fvwp

Fast forward past the tank stuff and get to the Spit part. OU-V is Nick's Spitfire. Nick was killed in a freak car accident at age 44 and his Australian wife Carolyn, who I have flown with many times, then converted onto the Spit (Nick had taught her to fly) and is now the only female Spit P1 in the world. Pump up the volume - as they say on Formula 1.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

With regards to getting the engine started, it might be worth (even though its so close) removing the oplugs and sticking a tea spoon full of oil down each bore, then soin it over with the plugs out..... the idea being that the oil will assist in creating a compression seal on the 'dry' rings...... can't not help can it.....!
Good luck!

Ian, with regards to Nick Grace's Spit, Carolyn actually did a fly over in southampton last weekend, to commorate (i think) the first flight.... had i not been pre booked, i would have driven over simply to see the plane in the air, i remember years ago going with mum and dad to the old flying boat tender ship yard next to the Navy docks in Matchwood, they had somewho arranged a huge flypast of spits, and i just laid on the dock soaking up the sights and sounds.... i don;t know what it is about those planes that is so magic, but whatever it is, long may they stay flying for more to enjoy...!!
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

A new coil; a fully charged battery; a few nuts tightened on the carb and it ‘went’. Flushed the block out and connected the radiator. Ran it for 45 minutes (up to temperature) – kept good oil pressure and, so far, no water or oil leaks and no water in the oil.

Drained the oil + poked magnet into sump + crossed fingers; no nasty suprises. Tightened head-nuts, will have another attempt at making an oil pick-up pipe tomorrow. I need to find/make an advance/retard plate for the distributor and sort out the timing. I put the carb together from bits. It is running with a dashpot +piston (with spring and oil damper) from a different carb. The jet is the type with holes drilled into its ‘sides’ and I have used the flat ended (round shouldered) needle that I think matched the jet. I fitted new gaskets but still have a leak. With the shoulder of the needle set correctly on the piston, the engine was running very rich. To get it to run, I dropped the needle 4mm below the bottom of piston.

Again, if there is nothing on TV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJ-goL14ds

John
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Nearly have something to sit on; I now need a roof.
seats nearing completion.jpg
seats nearing completion.jpg (93.99 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
Irene and Bruce have kindly let me have a copy of this diagram. Does anyone else have any info that might help me make a sliding roof?
Sliding Roof Pytchley%20Roof.jpg
Sliding Roof Pytchley%20Roof.jpg (155.78 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

There's got to be a rotten SV saloon out there somewhere that could provide some fittings and patterns. I'll place a Wanted advert on the website for you.
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Thanks Ian, Fingers Crossed! - in case I cannot find any 'bits', I have uploaded a few images that I have found that I will use to help me to design something if I have to go 'free-style'. I would be gratefull if anyone who has, or has seen, images that they think might be useful to me, would let me have links and I will update the Presentation so that I have collected as much info as I can before I start on it.

Images/presentation at http://www.slideshare.net/jpallis001/sl ... of-draft-1

John
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

We've got a Pytchley roof on RT, I can take some photos of if you like.
Andrew
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

John,

I put a Wanted ad on the website for you, and it will go in M 137.

Have you approached any of the Austin 7 suppliers for parts or assistance? The contemporary thirties Sevens had Pytchley roofs.

Paul Beck has this: http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/part.phtml?PartID=1979

Ian
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Yes please Andrew, and thanks Ian, I will follow up the Austin link

John
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

If i don't do it this weekend, remind me, My memory is hopeless.
Andrew