Beauty,...

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Beauty,...

Post by Ian Grace »

...they say, is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps.

Being snowed in today up here in the Cascades, I have spent a pleasant few hours sorting and trawling through literally thousands of images in the the Register's photographic archive, and have come to the conclusion (as if I didn't know it already), that there are some strikingly good looking cars in the Register but, for me, the OHC tourer and the fabric-bodied M Type are without doubt the best damned looking cars I have ever seen (apart, of course, from the heavenly 30/98 Wensum and the 12/50 ducksback which have no equal - but we're talking Cowley products here). When you look at some of the godawful specials out there, you come to realise that the designers of these cars in Oxford REALLY knew what they were doing - balance, proportion, style. The Hundred Pound 2-seater has a very pleasing (and literal) roundness to its design - plus the 1932 model has that inspired Daimler-fluted radiator. And the M Type Sportsman's coupe is a design tour de force for a light car, but sadly, survivors are very few. And then the Jensen and McEvoy Minors are a fine piece of automotive artistry - the more so when it is learned that the coachwork resulted from simple sketches scribbled for the Jensen brothers by Michael McEvoy who was first and foremost an engineer.

But the vintage Minor tourer and the early M Type are - for me - purest, sheerest, undiluted eye candy from any angle - sex on wheels. Anyone have any other to-die-for favourites?