Rubber Bushes on Suspension Dampers

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

pjs199

Rubber Bushes on Suspension Dampers

Post by pjs199 »

We have been contemplating the design of the rubber bushes for the suspension dampers and I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts or can cast any light on this. These are the earlier (?) type of dampers fitted to 1929 car.

The bushes appear to be of the type which do not have a metal insert collar for the inner, which is apparently common for cheaper cars. This means there is nothing positive to tighten the castle nut against. We don’t really regard this as a problem because some small amount of float probably not an issue. The older bushes have spread a bit more than the newer bushes, so with the new bushes the float is larger and the castle nut ‘bottoms out’ on the end of the thread.

What is particularly strange, and you may have thoughts on, are the two washers between the castle nut and the damper. The washer closest to the rubber is a distinctive washer with a special tip on the ID which mates with a slot on the pin and therefore stops the washer from turning. Alternatively this may prevent the washer moving beyond the end of the thread because the slot finishes at the end of the thread. The washer closest to the castle nut appears to be a type of crinkle washer, with a strange distinctive dish to it. The ‘crinkle’ function of this washer appears to be completely superfluous as it isn’t possible to tighten the nut against the rubber (thereby compressing the washer for it to act to prevent the nut undoing), and there is a castle nut in place anyway. I would say the washers on VF are original, they are certainly old, distinctive and identical on each pin. I suspect the rubbers are probably original as well, or certainly not replaced for some considerably long time.

Anyone have any thoughts or considered this area before?

Peter