Escape to the Lakes, Friday 6th to Sunday 8th September 2024

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Escape to the Lakes, Friday 6th to Sunday 8th September 2024

Post by Ian Grace »

As I have mentioned before, our repatriation to Blighty in June will open up the opportunity to mount spring and autumn Register gatherings – perhaps smaller, more relaxed and more intimate than the main event of our Summer Rally, but no less enjoyable, and in turn affording the prospect of gathering in locations around the country that should be more accessible to members and Register friends too far flung to reach Ludlow.

To that end, we are truly excited to announce that we will be organizing an Autumn Escape to the Lake District, over the weekend of Friday 6th to Sunday 8th September. Ten years ago, we ran a rally based on the Grange Hotel on Loweswater, Cumbria. Eighteen bods took part with six vintage cars and a couple of moderns and I have to admit that, for Jayne and I, it was one of the most enjoyable Register gatherings that we have ever organized. (Full disclosure - I have stayed at the Grange since the late seventies when, as a student, I visited with my Mum to spectate for several years on the VSCC Lakeland Trial and our visits can still be found in their Visitor’s Book!) There was ample time to relax, chat and enjoy the stunning scenery of the Lakes. So we are going to do it again! This time, there will perhaps be a few more entrants, but we will work to ensure that the relaxed spirit of that first Lakes weekend is perfectly preserved.

There is hotel and self-catering accommodation, plus further accommodation in the local area. There is also plenty of trailer parking. There is also additional accommodation at the cozy and historic Kirkstile Inn in Loweswater village. Also the nearby Scale Hill Inn, which includes dog-friendly cottages. There is also camping just behind the Grange at Askhill Farm.

I’ll have more to share over the next few months, but for now, do get in touch if you think you would like to join us, so that we can gauge likely numbers and refine plans. All pre-war cars warmly invited! And feel free to book your accommodation (we suggest Friday to Sunday nights inclusive). We have booked into the Grange already.