The VMR Magazine

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

KartikeyaL

Re: The VMR Magazine

Post by KartikeyaL »

Ian,

Recieved my copy of M147, great read, awesome print quality and thanks so much for the cd with pictures of KR 5670 .

Cheers
Kartik
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Kartik,

Feedback much appreciated.

Just working on the final article for M 148 which is an analysis of the full Genome data now we have it all. I have just spent the last couple of hours adding a LWB column to the SV Genome. I had to do this because, as the chassis were built and bodied in batches, only the first chassis in each batch was described in the Progress Books as either SWB or LWB, so it wasn't possible to filter the spreadsheet to get the relative production stats. I have now done this and am about to upload the edited file to the Members' Area. Having done this, it now emerges that a total of 5,004 LWB chassis were laid down - betwween chassis 20326 and 47081. These were either bodied as saloons, coupes or left the works as chassis, many of them being exported to Australia. There were 246 LWB Coupes produced.

While trawling the data, some fascinating facts emerged. Many SV saloons were built as fixed heads - with no sliding roof. Also, a considerable number of Minors were built as left-hand drive! It would be interesting to know where they went, and whether perhaps one has survived somewhere.

M 148 goes to print next Friday so that it can be with everyone before Christmas.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Delighted to confirm that Torben Valerius, in Denmark, owns the ONLY known surviving genuine left hand drive Morris Minor chassis - SV46297, which was a (SWB) saloon. Unfortunatley it is currently no more than a bare chassis, but it is the real deal! More in M 148.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 148 finally completed today - will go to print on Monday. The delay was caused by completing the Genome article which took a considerable effort. All 86,321 Minor chassis have now been analysed for total production data by season and by model. I'm still awaiting a couple of detailed double checks with Gaydon, but the numbers are very close, so we go to print Monday regardless, so that we can get the issue to everyone by Christmas. 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just because its Christmas, I have uploaded the print proof file for M 148 to the home page of the website!

The VMR Magazine is one of the best-kept secrets of the Register, so it might attract new members if they can see a copy.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It hardly seems possible! Our Summer 2014 Magazine - M 150 - will be our 50th issue!

Over the 13 years since we inaugurated the Register, we have also produced, on an occasional basis, five Yearbooks - in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2010.

For Magazine M150, we're planning to issue it in full-size (8.5" x 11") format like the earlier Magazines and Yearbooks, but this time using all the modern professional print technology used to create our current Magazines, which means that this special issue will be printed in full colour, high quality and contain up to 80 pages, as did the earlier Yearbooks. So it will be like a high quality Yearbook, but will come at no extra cost to members, the considerable additional cost of printing and distribution will be at least partly be covered by advertising and sponsorship, as well as offering the issue for sale to non-members (or not-yet members!).

The reason for mentioning all this now is that I will very soon be looking for articles to include in this special issue - it will be a much better read if the content comes from a number of authors and not just me! So please put your thinking caps on over the Christmas holiday, and get in touch if you would like to contribute that special article you have been meaning to write for some time, but never quite got around to - this is your firm nudge to put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard! Additionally, I am looking for photos - period or current - to include. What have you?

The goal will be to have it availalble in time for our Summer Rally in July.

Thanks in advance!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 148 posted on from Herefordshire today. 8)
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

M148 received today (just), it had almost completed it's escape from the "new style" envelope which had split open, perhaps a slightly stronger envelope is called for!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sorry about that Trevor. I'll try to check if this is a more general problem. The problem is that with the 28 lb weight envelope, the Magazine and envelope come to exactly 100 grams which puts postage from 50p to GBP1-06. And we're already using the lightest good quality paper for the Magazine itself. These new envelopes are 24 lb weight and get us just under the magic 100 grams.

Can other members let me know the state of their envelopes on arrival?
plj

Post by plj »

Mine was ok but was delivered on a dry day!

Philip
WD1940

Post by WD1940 »

Mine OK as well - Happy New Year everyone.
Stuart.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 149 finally away to the printers. Now our major M 150 is on the blocks and required YOUR input!

Please send in any and all material at your earliest convenience!

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 149 proof arrived from the printers this evening - looks good! It includes some interesting articles and some fine period photos sent in by members - keep them coming!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hard copy first article of M 149 appproved and printing under way.

The Marketplace section is long overdue for a spring clean, inuding some adverts that are SEVEN years old! (However, some of these are still current!).

So for M 150 I plan to overhaul thd content (and that of Marketplace on the website), so if advertisers could update me? I'd be most appreciative. And now is the time to place fresh, new adverts as well.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 149 being packed tonight and will ship worldwide tomorrow!