The VMR Magazine

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: The VMR Magazine

Post by Ian Grace »

M 149 posted on from Herefordshire this morning. Alex Dempster is in Bangkok on hisw ay to Europe (and our Summer Rally) but has made arrangements for a neighbour to pcik up the Oz/NZ Magazines and post them on. Other worldwide copies were posted from Seattle last week. Truly a global enterprise!

Hope you enjoy it, sorry it was a bit late and now its on to the landmark M 150 which I'll have ready for the Summer Rally - now less than two months away! :o :o :o
martinng

Post by martinng »

Another fabulous magazine arrived this morning - thank you Ian for all the hard work and research that goes into it and to all those involved in the 'supply chain'.
I am perhaps not the first to notice the amusing class that Clive Hamiton-Gould entered at Brooklands when he came fourth amongst the standards porets cars! I wonder what the market price is for a poret car?
Martin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Martin, and you just got yourself the job of proof reading M 150! :o

M 150 was going to have more pages, but when I proposed this to the printers, they told me that the current 48 pages is as big as they can go with the squared-off spine. Anything bigger would have to be spiral wire bound which I think would look hideous by comparison. So the plan is to keep to the current size and page count, but still produce something rather unique and special to mark a very special Register milestone.

It seems incredible that we have reached 50 Magazines. We have come a very long way since the early days in 2001, and I well remember one or two people telling me after the first couple of issues that there would not be enough material to keep a magazine going!

Here's to the next 50! 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 150 .pdf proof approved this morning, and it looks great! I'll have a hard copy proof shortly and then we go to print.

I'll be hand carrying all of the UK/Europe/India, etc. copies to England with me on the 16th and so the 25 to 30 members expected at Prescott can, and should collect theirs from the VMR tent on the day. The rest will go in the post on Monday 21st.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just to keep everyone in the loop re Magazine developments. M 151 will be the first ever VMR Magazine to be printed and distributed directly from the UK. By doing this we can trim costs a little - particularly in the pre-shipping of the UK magazines in bulk from the USA to the UK. Consequently, we can keep the 2015 subs at GBP 25 for at least another year. Right now, M 151 is almost completely written and I'm working hard with the UK printers to sort the new technology of getting the raw files across to the UK, along with the address label files because the printers will also do all the enveloping and posting. Not an inconsiderable task, but once we iron out the process, it will be much more streamlined and professional. The magazine should look largely indistinguishable from the previous issues. The print shop is the same one that printed our Summer Rally commemorative programmes and the Pre-War Prescott 2015 calendars.

As a result of this effort, M 151 will be a little late - hopefully being with everyone by early November, and I'm also working hard to get M 152 out by Christmas to keep to the annual schedule. Everyone can help in this regard by sending me material for M 152 so that I can fill it in good time. I have some superb material going in to M 151, along with full reports on the summer rallies, of course.

It will be a novel experience for me to receive my copy in the post as opposed to picking one out of the box and posting the rest. Most of you will probably be getting your copies before I do! :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 151 is complete! It is now in the hands of fate to see if we can get it across to the UK in electronic format, printed and posted so that you will receive it before Christmas. M 152 is now being prepared and will also go to the printers before Christmas and so should be with everyone in January. Any and all input most welcome - including fresh for sale and wanted adverts.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 152 is two thirds done! :o

Received some great photos of the VSCC Driving Tests at Bicester that took place earlier today, which are now in M 152. Of course Clive Hamilton-Gould was there, but there were also FIVE M Types entered - that must be a record driving test entry! Awaiting news as to whether any actually beat Clive! 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Magazine M 152 is now printed and will be posted early next week, so everyone should have their copy shortly.

Meanwhile M 153 is taking shape, but I could do with some more material to fill it if anyone has anything?

Thanks,

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Looks like M 152 is arriving in letter boxes in the UK. I had an e-mail from Clive Perkins who has identified the Odeon cinema as the one in Oxford Street, Manchester. Details are already in M 153!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Has anyone else received their M 152? Not had mine yet!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 153, our spring issue, is complete! I'll be proof reading it over the weekend and then sending it across to the printers in the UK so they have it on Monday. It should then be in the post to everyone shortly after that.

I already have a few items for M 154 and this will circulate around the time of our Summer Rally in July. Please send in any material that you would like to see in print!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sounds like M 153 is arriving in letterboxes. Not had mine yet!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 154 was ftp'd to the printers last night - in time to be printed for the Summer Rally. I have the names of about 20 members who I know are going to be at the weekend, so have kept their envelopes back. These will be filled with magazines on Saturday morning at Prescott, so do swing by the VMR marquee to collect your copy if you have already booked. All others will be posted in the usual fashion.

Hopefully, you are all enjoying your cars in this lovely summer weather and taking lots of photos to send me for M 155! :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

M 154 proof was approved yesterday - its touch and go whether it will be ready for Prescott. We'll see ...
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So there was a slight misunderstanding with the printers with M 154. I had asked for 27 copies to be delivered to me at Prescott for members who had entered. I removed these 27 labels from the address sheets I sent to the printers and prepared envelopes for filling and collection at Prescott, which I brought across with me. But the message got garbled and no spare copies were delivered. So I have posted the 217 envelopes to the printers and they will print off the extra Magazines and get them in the post to those 27 members in the next few days.

I did bring back with me a further ten copies for the US, Canada and Japan members and I will be posting them from Seattle in the morning.

After all this, everyone should have their copies!