Philip Young

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Philip Young

Post by Ian Grace »

I just found out that our member Philip Young died in March of this year. This from the Endurorally website:

"The Endurance Rally Association is deeply saddened to announce that Philip Young, Rally Director and founder of the ERA has died following complications arising from a motorcycle accident in Burma. He was 67 years old.

A prolific ambassador of the historic rally movement, Philip was a larger-than-life character who pushed motorsport boundaries, organising marathon and endurance rallies all over the globe. A founder of the Historic Rally Car Register, Philip set a world record for driving from Cape Town to London in ten-and-a-half days, and is best known for one of his greatest achievements – the revival of the Peking to Paris Motor Challenge, one of the world’s most epic motoring adventures. His final milestone was gaining permission for 70 rally competitors to be the first to cross the land border from Thailand into Burma.

Philip died in hospital in Bangkok on Wednesday 11th March."

Philip joined the Register last year when he bought the ex-Clive Holland 1933 tourer ANO 17. The car is to stay in the family and I have offered his widow, Jane, to take up Philip's membership.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Philip Young

Post by Ian Grace »

Delighted to report this from Jane today:

"Dear Ian,

Thank you so much for your kind offer to take over Philip's membership - that would be great. As I said in my previous e-mail, we have not really done anything with the cars this summer, my whole life is taken over with the ERA at the moment. Hopefully next year we will be able to enjoy trips out with the kids as they love it, and argue as to which one of them will inherit it!"

Welcome, Jane!