Another McEvoy Special survivor confirmed

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Another McEvoy Special survivor confirmed

Post by Ian Grace »

This is a super story.

Ten years or so ago, I corresponded with the late Harry Edwards regarding surviving McEvoy Minors. He provided details which ultimately led me to re-discovering and saving my McEvoy which had languished in an Ipswich workshop since 1957.

Also included in Harry's list was a car in Wantage. Here's what I wrote in the Summer 2006 VMR Magazine:

" XJ 5715, chassis SV23534, engine 25054, was re-registered JHT 596 in the distant past, and Harry was able to supply a great deal of data relating to this car, including a string of previous owners. This car was heavily modified by Walter Ernest Victor Kethro and his son Laurence Kethro in the thirties as a trials special and named the KK Special. The reconstruction featured an MG J2 engine which was subsequently replaced in 1952 by a Rover 12 unit. In the sixties, Pete Tovell acquired the car and started to collect SV Minor parts to return the car to its original Jensen specification. He even managed to salvage the original engine, number 25054. It is believed that Pete emigrated to Australia, but it was not difficult to trace the chap he sold it to – Andrew Forbes who still lives in Chipping Norton (just around the corner from VSCC HQ). Andy sold the car to Steve Collett, who was tracked down at the local pub, and who related that he had sold the car to John Oliver, of Oliver’s Garage in Long Hanbrough near Witney, Oxfordshire. Contact details for the garage were found on the Internet and John’s son answered the subsequent telephone call. Yes, Dad still has the car among his collection of Alvises and Daimlers, but he had modified it out of all recognition years ago and it now bears a badge proclaiming it to be The Oliver Special. It has not been on the road for many years. What of the original engine (the one which Pete Tovell had salvaged)? That was turfed out long ago – it might be somewhere up the back of the yard…"

Fast forward to January this year. I received an e-mail from a Peter Oliver:

"Dear sir,madam, my name is Peter Oliver and I live near Oxford, a couple of years ago my father passed away and I am in the process of sorting through some old cars he restored, one of which is a Morris Minor reg no JHT 956 chassis no SV18915 engine no 19614B, although the engine was replaced with an A series engine from a sixties Morris minor. I can't see the back of the vehicle at the moment because of its location but can remember it having a boat back. I did drive the car a few times in the mid eighties and seem to remember it being extremely lively off the mark! I think the original engine is around somewhere as Dad was never one to throw anything away. Any info would be greatly appreciated, I have attached an image of the front of the car, it appears to be in remarkably good condition considering the time it has been laid up, thanks in anticipation Peter."

Since neither the chassis number nor the registration number matched up, I didn't make the connection. Until Peter sent me photos of the car this week. Here's one:

I immediately spotted that the scuttle, side valence, doors and windscreen were pure Jensen, and suggested as much to Peter.

Peter replied:

"Ian, hope you are well, Ive been very busy and have struggled to find the time to deal with the old cars although I have just recommissioned a 1929 Austin Chummy "Pram Hood" which I think I will sell.
The Minor is now well on its way and I have done further investigation in to its history. Dad built the body and interior from the chassis up, it appears the steering column, hand brake lever, radiator, windscreen and surround and the hood frame are original, it looks like he made the steering wheel. I think a professional trimmer has recovered the seats and interior, its well nice and a new carpet is currently being made.
The dash board is pretty nasty in all honesty, defiantly not period looking, it has a couple of dials that came from a Daimler DS420 hearse that I raced when I used to do banger racing. I had 12 years at racing and some of the stuff we used to race, ooh dear, best not to dwell on that subject! Anyway the dash will be changed to something like it should look like. Under the bonnet is interesting, as I mentioned it had a different engine and as it turns out its a 1098cc silver seal recon unit that came from HWL399F a 1968 Minor that was written off in an accident and the remains of which are still in the top yard. The son of a Mr Adams from Oxford who owned the Minor remembers fitting the recon unit just before the car was written off. No wonder the Minor is a bit lively! I drove the car this weekend and although it needs the bearing in the diff doing, which I've just removed, it is fabulous to drive, with a 4 speed box and hydraulic brakes it is a very capable little car and drives beautifully. I've attached some images which you are welcome to publish if you wish. As for the future of the car I will wait and make my mind up when its all finished and then decide to keep it or sell it, at the moment I'm thinking it would be a shame to sell it with its family history, will be in touch, best regards Pete."

And then:

"Ian, wow, fascinating! Having done a bit more searching on the net, pieces of the jigsaw are slowly falling in to place, I can distinctly remember "Jenson bodied hill climb car" being mentioned probably 30 years ago and somebody coming in to the garage asking if we still had the original engine because there was something special about it. The man Dad bought the car from is still around, I will contact him to see if he can add any pieces to the puzzle. Also now I have seen what a McEvoy special engine looks like I'll have a hunt around to see if the original unit is about, also I'm sure Dad would have took pictures of the car before and during work, will keep you posted."

Then the penny dropped. Although SV18915 (quoted in Peter's original e-mail) started life as a standard 2-seater, SV23534 left the works as a bare driving chassis - bound for the coachbuilders. JHT 954 - or JHT 594. John Oliver - Peter Oliver. Wantage - Oxford. Eureka!

I have implored Peter to scour the back yard for the original McEvoy engine!

Here's a picture of Peter's father John campaigning the McEvoy decades ago:

The caption reads: "Half day sporting 27/11/48 HAM"

Much more on this hugely significant discovery shortly.

KartikeyaL

Re: Another McEvoy Special survivor confirmed

Post by KartikeyaL »

what a great story, sure it will make the next Magazine. :)
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Interesting - here is another picture of the car from Harry's collection. It looks like a LWB chassis to me - some McEvoys were on these.
Attachments
JHT596 LWB MM 'KK Special' c1950s.jpg
JHT596 LWB MM 'KK Special' c1950s.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks, Ken. Had not seen this picture before. I do have another taken at Alveston in 1946 which is destined for M 149.

The car is definitely SWB (look at the curved front dumb irons). We have the chassis number. I have read that there were LWB McEvoys, but this is not true. Michael McEvoy was smart enough to know that sporting capability is enhanced by shortening a chassis, not elongating it!

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And here's probably why the story started that there were LWB McEvoys:

There were long bonnet models, as RC 666 depicted here in an original McEvoy advertisement.

It can be seen in this image that the chassis has the standard SWB curved front dumbirons. It was just the bonnet that was longer, not the chassis.

Production numbers of these long-bonnet B models are unknown, but it is known that none survive - as far as we know...