ONCE IN A LIFETIME: TURN LEFT - THE RIFFS HAVE RISEN

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Sam Christie

ONCE IN A LIFETIME: TURN LEFT - THE RIFFS HAVE RISEN

Post by Sam Christie »

On 6th March 1979 Yorkshire Television transmitted a documentary entitled ONCE IN A LIFETIME: TURN LEFT - THE RIFFS HAVE RISEN - ACROSS AFRICA IN A MORRIS MINOR
. Has anyone managed find a way to obtain a copy ? I am sure it would be of general interest. The documentary is largely based on film shot in 1933 by two young men who embarked on a quest to drive a Minor from Cairo to Capetown - it was an amazing true story.

One scene I recall was as they were driving across The Sahara another car appeared far off in the distance and when at last they met, it proved to be .... another Morris Minor coming the opposite way !
Last edited by Sam Christie on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This was written up at the time in the Morris Owner Magazine and I think I have a copy. One of the drivers was named Gilg, from memory. It was a pair of SV cars - one 2-seater and one tourer, I seem to remember. I have never heard of a film being made of the trip. It would be wonderful to obtain a copy.
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Don't know about the film, but the book was an excellent read. Sadly, I think one of these intrepid gentleman died many years later whilst trying to do the same thing with a Morris Minor Traveller...that also is the subject of a book, I think it was called Trek, by Paul Stewart., but can't be sure. The original journey was done in a 1933 Minor four seater, HF 8547.

Paul.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

As Sam knows I have just won a copy of the book on eBay. It hasn't arrived yet but am now looking forward to a good read and will post a potted review on the forum later.
Chris
Edited to read-the book has now arrived and also checked on Amazon. There are at least six copies available and far cheaper than my eBay price! B****r it!
Highlander

The book.

Post by Highlander »

D ear Chris - can you help an idiot in finding Amazon, and then finding the book? Alister (Highlander) 0208 393 6732.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Alister,
If you click on the link below it will take you to the Amazon website and the books in question:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_v_h ... =13&Go.y=6

Chris
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

This is the book in question:

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Wonderful - just ordered a copy! I never knew there was a book published about this epic journey. When will you be heading for the Sahara in your 2-seater Chris? :wink:
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

The book is very well illustrated with many excellent photographs. Here is a taster - the car and an Imperial Airways AW15 Atalanta at Dodoma:

DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Having just watched a Long Way down with Ewan McGregoron BMW motor bikes, perhaps we should plan for an anniversary run to Cape Town to mark 80 years of Minors!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Or a coast to coast across the USA? Long-distance runs in Minors are not common, but John Dixon has done many all over Europe and Asia, and then there was the famous Olive Willats fabric saloon trip to Italy in the sixties. I also have photos of Dave Whittle's tourer in Norway. Have there been any others? I think the longest I have done in a day was probably Bath to Hastings which is quite pathetic really. I did do Germany to Malvern with my fabric saloon - but that was on a trailer!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Found it - this trip was written up by Gilg in the October 1933 Morris Owner - three pages. The article includes the famous photo of two Minors meeting in the middle of the Sahara. Gilg's '33 tourer and a Hundred Pound 2-seater on its way to England. The title of the article is 'Through Desert and Bush to Cape Town' and the sub-title is 'Wherein is told of a journey of 8000 miles between Liverpool and the Cape in a Morris Minor, loaded down with much more luggage than the average owner allows his wife on a week's tour.' What more needs be said about our wonderful little cars!

In the same issue is a photo of J. G. C. Bond climbing Grabhurst Hill near Dunster on the Mid-Surrey Motor Club's London to Barnstaple Trial of 1933 in his 1932 SV Minor 2-seater. Sporting many car club badges, the car is making light work of the hill. And this before the VSCC was ever thought of. How presumptuous of them, therefore, to consider such a car unworthy of participating in similar competition 75 years later! :wink:
Highlander

MCC Sporting Trial November, 1932.

Post by Highlander »

This book has started something. Thank you for the e.mail tip regarding buying a copy. I spent two hours last night trying to buy a copy and could not find the button for purchase!!!! I was driven mad and this morning my son in law did the business and I have a copy. I should have pressed the basket button!!!! How does one know that? I have just finished reading a dozen copies of 1932 Motor Sport. In November 1932 a F.W.J. Bolton (Mirris Minor) is pictured making a clean climb of Blocker Mill, and in the results won a silver medal. I cannot tell if it was a tourer or a two seater as the photo is head on. Windscreen down and index number MX 8108.At least 6 badges on badge bar!!!! All this in the Derbyshire Trial. Might see you Toby on 1st if I do not do to Brooklands.Happy and Healthy New Year to you all, Aye, Alister (Highlander)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Alister,

This from the Morris Owner showing a 3/4 front view - car on the MCC London to Edinburgh. Clearly a special of some sort - cycle wings, fold flat screen, cut away drivers door, but it is not a McEvoy. Do you have the technology to scan your Motor Sport? Ken Martin has been trying to research this chap for thirty years, without conspicuous success. Registration is Hertfordshire HX 8106. Note the Shire horse on duty to haul away the failures!

Highlander

1932 Trials.

Post by Highlander »

Dear Ian, What a super picture. I have had a closer look at my article and under a mag.glass the index number is the same!!!HX 8106, the wings are the same (of course). This chap Bolton appears in my 1932 Motor Sports in all the major sporting trials. I am not skilled enough to sent a copy myself but I will try and get someone else to do it. Where does this research fellow live? He can have my copies of Motor Sport. The small Ads are a gold mine of information - special body builders, stick on goodies etc. Alister (Highlander.