Website migration

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Website migration

Post by Ian Grace »

Following the recent chaos when TalkTalk took over Freedom2Surf, who have hosted our website for years, and the monumental struggle behind the scenes with the imbeciles at TalkTalk, the website is being migrated to JustHost. It will take a day or so to upload well over 2 Gigs of files and then we will be re-pointing http://www.vintageminor.co.uk to the new host. The whole process should be seamless - but if there are any brief outages, you now know why!
garagiste

Re: Website migration

Post by garagiste »

Thanks Ian, It's great to have the forum back!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It's thanks to my son William, not me! He succeeded where others couldn't!

Yes, it's a HUGE relief to get it back.

Now, with the forum sorted, the Magazine and DVD shipped, I can concentrate on the Summer Rally and M142 which is actually about half done as I want to hand carry it to the UK next month. I'll try to get the June Newsletter out today - there was no May Newsletter because I was waiting to give news on the Forum, which never came in May!
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Well done Ian and William! I am also delighted to see the forum has returned.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Postscript!

After months of hassle, website and forum downtime with TalkTalk back in the spring, caused solely by their inability to recognize myself or Gren as account holders, and their being unable to take the annual payment for the website hosting, and forcing us to switch to JustHost, I received a letter from a collections agency this morning demanding GBP 148 for TalkTalk forthwith!

Members can rest assured that their subs will NOT be wasted on this one. :o :o :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The last item on the agenda to move the website is to move the domain hosting away from TalkTalk - since they don't recognize me or Gren, and so cannot tell either of us how to renew!

This morning I started the registration process for http://www.vintageminor.co.uk with FastHost. Let's see how this works out. If it all gets set up OK and they give me the all-important IPS-tag (whatever that is), I should be able to move domains. The move should be completely transparent to the website users - or so it says here ...

The reason I cannot register the domain with JustHost is that, being US-based - they don't offer .co.uk domains.

All good fun. :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The vintageminor domain has new been successfully moved from TalkTalk to Fasthosts, releasing us completely from them. This will ensure uninterrupted service from now on.

However, this just in from our hosting company JustHost:

"Tomorrow night, between the hours of 8 - 10 PM MST, we will be performing a kernel update on your server. We estimate the outage to be approximately 15-30 minutes. During this time, your website will not be accessible. This updated kernel brings a number of significant enhancements in all aspects of the kernel, the integral part of which the rest of the Operating System relies upon. We apologize that we cannot give you an exact time-frame between these 2 hours as to when you will experience the downtime due to the number of additional servers we will be performing this update on as well."

(MST is 6 hours behind GMT, so the outage will occur between 2 AM and 4 AM Tuesday morning in the UK.)
Mike Norrey

Post by Mike Norrey »

Ian, Thanks for all your efforts, it's great to be able to access the Forum.
Mike