"New" Minor?

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

plj

"New" Minor?

Post by plj »

Ian,

For the last two years or so a friend of mine has been telling me about the "minor" his daughter and son-in-law have bought, at first I thought he was referring to the "1000" sort but after various details became available I started to believe it might be a proper one. Having asked him many times for contact details, probably not forthcoming as all our meetings seem to involve copious pints of Harveys Best, I sent him a picture of my car and asked him to forward it to his daughter.
Much to my surprise I received a call this morning that "JO" was being taken for an outing and was I "at home" to receive visitors?
REG JO 7209
Chassis No. 26179 This may not be accurate as the chassis plate was worn and had been moved centrally under the hinge so was difficult to see.
Engine No. 24646 Above applies.
Engine No. fitted 36806? once again difficult to see due to layers of paint and rather pushing it to start off a relationship by taking emery cloth to someones engine. I do have a promise that steps will be taken to accurately record the numbers.

Regards,
Philip
Attachments
minor 1 035.jpg
minor 1 035.jpg (181.35 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
minor 1 034.jpg
minor 1 034.jpg (170.69 KiB) Viewed 4855 times
minor 1 033.jpg
minor 1 033.jpg (174.93 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: "New" Minor?

Post by Ian Grace »

Good Lord! Very interesting coachwork, very good quality work - frontal aspect looks great. Once we have a definitive chassis number (from the dumbiron?), I'll be able to add it to the chassis register. Do they have a membership form?
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,

Have suggested joining the register but they are not really the "joining sort", like to do their own thing, but do drive the car a lot despite lack of weather equipment. If I let you have their e-mail address, when I get it!!, perhaps you could send them a complimentary newsletter or something which might slake their appetite.
Which front dumb iron is the number to be found on?
Regards,

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yup - happy to send them a copy of the Magazine.

In what neck of the woods do they live?

Offside dumbiron.

Ian
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,
At last a follow-up, even though the owner is not the "joining sort" when help is needed people know where to come, which is what the old car thing is all about.
"Jo" sounds like it has "run an end" which when called for advice gave me an opportunity to check out the numbers. Chassis no. on the dumb iron is 27424 which corresponds with an old buff log book and current V5? or whatever the form is. This makes it a car having left the factory as a saloon despite it's current rakish bodywork. The engine no. on the buff log book is 27505 but the current unit fitted is numbered 33806.
The "plot thickens" when one comes to the I.D. plate on the bulkhead which gives a chassis no of 26179 which equates to a van and an engine no. of ?? 64646, although it looks to have been over-stamped.
Do we have any further details for these numbers?
Regards,

PhilipB

I was going to post a picture as the original ones seem to have been lost, but so have mine!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Philip,

How interesting, and thanks for your follow-up. You have obviously looked up the chassis numbers in the Genome - and saved me the effort! If you can re-post a photo if you can find/obtain one - or send me one so that I can post it, that would be good.

Incidentally, when I post photos to the forum, I actually upload them to the website via ftp and link them directly, so they will never disappear from the forum. I'm happy to do this for anyone else, and I can also re-size to suit.
martinng

Post by martinng »

Ian, for some reason the images at the top of this thread don't seem to be there. I get a box with the filename and a red cross.
Is it me or has a link failed somewhere?
Maritn
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, that is because the poster linked to images on an external site that have since been removed from that site (like Photobucket, etc.) - hence my suggestion that I post images for people directly from our own website.
plj

Post by plj »

Found them.
Attachments
minor 1 036.jpg
minor 1 036.jpg (179.28 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
minor 1 035.jpg
minor 1 035.jpg (181.35 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
minor 1 034.jpg
minor 1 034.jpg (170.69 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'm sure a lot of people would knock such a car for being wholly unoriginal, but - as long as a restorable/original body wasn't removed - then at least this is a Minor that is up together, roadworthy and hopefully being driven. An original or accurate replica body could be fitted at some point in the future, but the alternative would be yet another SV Minor in bits in a shed somewhere, slowly rotting away like hundreds of others are, most of which I suspect will never be seen on the road again.

I have also seen several much more illustrious chassis (Alvis, Rolls Royce) that have had crude, vestigial bodies fitted and driven at events for several years while the complex and time-consuming task of restoring the original coachwork was under way.

If someone were to run off a batch of maybe a dozen cheap, simple bodies like this, with aero screens and cycle wings if needed, perhaps we could get more of these chassis back on the road and save them for the future.

So here's a challenge - come up with a sporty open 2-seater Minor body design that could be built as cheaply as possible, use cheap materials, yet does not look too 'un-period'. Post sketches and drawings here!