The Morris Minor Genome

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: The Morris Minor Genome

Post by Ian Grace »

Philip,

The chassis were certainly bodied in small batches - probably because the feed from the body shop was in small batches and the 4-seater tourer bodies were made in Coventry and delivered in small batches on lorries. Only Cowley-built bodies had body numbers, so we can know that the OHC (Semi-sports) and SV 2-seater bodies were all made at Cowley, as were the coachbuilt and fabric saloons.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This morning I received the next batch of SV chassis data from Gaydon, taking the SV Genome up to chassis 32246, nearly to the end of 1933 season production (which was at 33778), and including LWB chassis interspersed in batches. We should have the rest in the New Year, as well as the OHC LWB chassis, so the entire Minor Genome will be complete - a major achievement for the Register.

I just uploaded the new data to the website Members' Area. The new data includes some fascinating insights - particularly in the Notes column. Take a look and tell us what catches your eye!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So let me start you off!

1933 models started with chassis number SV20301, but take a look at chassis SV18457 (laid down 9/6/32) which is referred to in the notes as a '1933 model'. As are about 262 2-seaters and a chassis - all produced to 1933 model spec. well before the official model year switch. Check column I for '1933 model'. It looks like every 2-seater from chassis 19535 was built to the 1933 season spec.

Sorting the data in column I will bring forth some other fascinating notes. Look at all the chassis with 'Engine fitted with a Special Ransome & Marles roller bearing to Crankshaft', 'Engine fitted with Hoffman Crankshaft Bearings', 'Australia chassis', 'Australia unassembled', 'SW 8HP 2 STR War Office', 'Works Car' and so on.

The blue chassis numbers in Column A relate to known surviving cars and have the full build data appended.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So the Progress Books show us that Minors were typically ordered up in batches of ten, twenty or thirty chassis at a time with similar bodies. If you look at the Notes column, you will see hundreds of instances of 'S.W. 8 H.P. STD.' and 'L.W. 8 H.P. STD.' The subsequent chassis are either SWB or LWB until the next note in these formats. If you look at the LWB batches, you will find saloons, chassis (for the Calshotts, etc.) and 'S:-Coupe' - the Special Coupes (149 found so far).

Since, for the SV chassis, production was mixed, what I now need to do for the SV Genome is to add a column for SWB or LWB so that production statistics can be easily extracted by filtering the spreadsheet on this new column. Once we have the rest of the '33 season chassis data and all of the '34 season data, I'll sort the production batches for the approximately 27,000 chassis.

Once we have all of the Progress Book data for all 86,000 or so Minors transcribed and analysed, this will represent a significant research achievement for the Register and offer us a very special and unprecedented insight into the genesis of our cars.

We are so fortunate that these manuscripts have survived the decades, the Blitz and a series of industry takeovers, but we are even more fortunate that at least 1% of these fine little cars have survived for us to restore, to drive and to enjoy.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hi Ian, I have previously sent you my 2 seater body number! 28915 for PJ5155 :D
Did you get more gearbox numbers in the end?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Toby,

Thanks - have added it to the chassis register, and I'll upload an updated copy shortly.

No I didn't get any more gearbox numbers so far. I should really push for more body and gearbox numbers, and we are still mising chassis numbers for a great many SV Minors.

Perhaps others would like to log in to the Members' Area, access the chassis register and check their car's details for accuracy/completeness.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Uploaded.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

We're returning to Gaydon again on 13th May to continue gathering data for the SV Genome. Hopefully after this visit, we may have this massive effort completed. If not, then there will be one more visit scheduled later this year.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ian,

I have asked you by email a couple of times to correct my car details on the membership list.
I will ask you again. The details of my car are as follows:-
Reg No. VE 7513
Chassis sv 18508
Engine No. 18938
1st reg,d July 1932
Body type 2str tourer.
I wondered if Cambridge Archives had any details remaining from that period, when I enquired I was told that they had a few. For £10 they did a search and sent me the details which all matched my car.
It appears the engine is the original. They also informed me that it was last reg in 1965. I also now know who owned the car
at that time.I am hoping you will do as promised and furnish me with any further details you may discover.
If anyone else has a VE reg and wants info it may be worth contacting them.
You also have me down on the membership list as owning a 29 saloon. That was a Cowley and is now sold.
Regards Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Mike,

Apologies for that - all updated. I update the chassis register and membership list on a virtually daily basis, but don't ftp the files to the website as frequently. Just uploaded both which now are hopefully correct. I have also re-named the hyperlinked image file for the photo of your car.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ian,
You still do not have it correct Ian, you have the engine number as the chassis number, I have
given you all the correct details in my previous post above.Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

You just can't get decent staff these day!

I'll fix it in the morning!

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Mike,

All corrected - I think! Interesting that VMR member Colin Johnson owns the sister car SV18507 (a saloon) and this also has the 'sister' engine to yours - U18937.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ian,
Thanks for doing that.
Yes I had noticed on the listing that my car has the engine number following the saloon Colin
has, I had assumed that as my car followed his on the listing that engine numbers would follow.
Is it possible that you have any lay down details etc. If not is it possible they would be available
when further searches have been made. Thanks again. Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Mike,

Yes, I have the build data for Colin's car which is:

Chassis erected 10/6/32
Tested 10/6/32
Body shop 15/6/32
Final test 15/6/32
Despatch 16/6/32

I will see if we can collect the build data for your car in a couple of weeks when the register is back at Gaydon again. It is highly likely that your car was laid down the same day, but the despatch dates vary quite a bit. Although it was clearly despatched before 1/7/32 - the first registration date.

Although you might think it logical that these sister cars should have sister engines, this is not actually the case, as engines were delivered to Cowley from Coventry in lorries containing up to a hundred engines at a time, and these were then fed to the production line in no particular order from the Cowley stores. So, in your case, this is quite a coincidence.