1931 tourer for sale

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1931 tourer for sale

Post by Ian Grace »

Further to the piece on the website home page today (3/3/17), here's some more of my archive photos of HY 1833 when in the ownership of Rod King in the sixties. These images were sent in by Rod and were published in our M 115 and M 115 magazines (Winter 2003, Spring 2004).

Hopefully it will find its way into good hands. If anyone is interested, please contact me for further info and history.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 1931 tourer for sale

Post by Ian Grace »

Re the last photo, '32 2-seater DH 9233 is still registered with the DVLA. Does anyone know its current whereabouts?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Historical snippet. Rod King lived in Bristol in the sixties at the same time as Mike Gibson, who was restoring the McEvoy that his daughter Sarah now owns. They were good friends. In more recent times, Rod has campaigned a Wolseley Hornet Special at VMR Prescott and he currently competes in a Delage.

By the seventies, Mike Gibson was a teacher in Bath and I bought my first ever pre-war car from him when I was a student at Bath University - a 1937 Morris 8 tourer. That was in the summer of 1976. In the back of his Bath workshop was the McEvoy - the first time I ever saw a Minor and instantly fell in love with it.

Sadly, Mike died of cancer far too young. He and his wife Jane came to our wedding in 1993. Mike was on crutches after having had an operation to remove part of his foot and died shortly after. I owe my passion for old cars in general, and Minors in particular to Mike. Imagine my delight about ten years ago when I found an identical McEvoy languishing in a workshop in Ipswich and which I am currently restoring here in Seattle. And of course, Sarah is a regular entrant at Pre-War Prescott with her late father's car. Perhaps one day, these two McEvoys will get to meet, closing the loop on history after more than forty years.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Update. After seeing the early photos above, Maurice has decided to keep the car and re-commission it.

Quote, "E-mails like this tell me I must not sell. I am ashamed I have not looked after her.....give me ideas how we can get her back into her original glory. Rodney let me have her for at least 30 years...2 wives, now looking for 3rd , when she was kept pristine then the 2nd rebelled overnigbt due to my arrest as trading in machine guns...the car suffered while in prison on and off , often,,,,,if that is english?"

Can anyone help with a chrome radiator?

All good stuff!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And the reason Maurice needs a radiator (and a front bumper) is that they were stolen for scrap. Can anyone help with either?