Fuel tank cap

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Reinout

Fuel tank cap

Post by Reinout »

Hello to all,

My 1931 MG M Type lost her fuel tank cap 8 years ago. As it turns out M Types used a variety of caps but none of the avialable caps were like mine. Recently I found out that my cap may be the same as used on the scuttle tank Morris.

My cap looked very much like the one on the photos, but without the cone shaped piece. The filler neck of my M type is about 2.5" in diameter. Does any have one for sale or knows where I would be able to find one?

Thanks, all leads or information is welcome.
Thanks and MGreetings,
Attachments
Top_view.jpg
Top_view.jpg (67.33 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
Filler_neck.jpg
Filler_neck.jpg (50.03 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
Angled_view.jpg
Angled_view.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
tim burton

Re: Fuel tank cap

Post by tim burton »

Good morning. I noticed your Post from 2016 regarding lost petrol cap for an M type. I too am without a cap , the car I bought did not have one and I wondered if you had any ideas as to where I could get one? Yours in hope, Tim Burton.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Reinout, Tim,

I'm afraid I don't have a spare cap, but I can confirm that the scuttle tank Minor fuel cap is the same as the M Type one. Indeed, the tank itself is virtually the same except for the mounting flanges and the position of the filler.

Ian
simonh

Post by simonh »

Sports & Vintage old catalogue lists M Type tanks & hinged caps.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

What I have never been able to resolve is the reason for the cup riveted under the cap. Looks like a cocktail jigger, but I'm fairly sure that wasn't the purpose!

I just went out to the garage to see if the later SV Minor rear tank cap fits the scuttle tank, but was thwarted because the cap on the Maddox is on a chain (which hopefully means it will never be lost or stolen!). I wanted to see if it fitted the scuttle tank on my OHC fabric saloon. I'm pretty sure it would fit, and I'm guessing that other Morris caps, such as on the Moors 8 would also fit. These later caps are domed (and chromed), but at least they would do the job.
simonh

Post by simonh »

Have a look at E-Bay item no 292462955015 - looks as if it may fit