Flywheel puller

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

poulsendk

Flywheel puller

Post by poulsendk »

I have a flywheel puller for OHC morris minor and MG MMM for sale on Ebay. Start Price 10 dollar.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262265330471?ss ... 1555.l2649
Can bring it to Stoneleigh near Coventry the 20 - 21th. Feb.
Jorgen Poulsen DK
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Flywheel puller

Post by Ian Grace »

Good morning Jørgen,

I will bid for this so that Register members can have a puller available on a loan basis from the club.

By amazing coincidence, I also run the US de Havilland Moth Club (http://www.dhmcc.com) and I just bought a propeller hub puller for Gipsy engines for loan to that club's members!
martinng

Post by martinng »

This looks very interestng, but I have a couple of comments.
The puller appears to be shown attached to a flywheel with the centre bearing housing removed.
As I remember this job, the puller is attached by nuts onto the bearing housing bolts that locate through the flywheel from the rear.
A degree of caution is required when removing the nuts to be sure that these bolts do not disappearing down behind the flywheel.
The nuts also need to have a special profile. A circular diameter to locate through the puller and onto the studs and extending to a hex profile for tightening down.

There is also a question of the diameter of the fixing holes.
The original crankshaft / bearing housing had smaller diameter studs than used on the Phoenix crank which I have.
This I discovered to my cost when I borrowed a puller and found insufficient clearance on these holes for the special fixing nuts.
Flywheel and bearing housing onto which the puller is attached after the fixing nuts have been removed.
Flywheel and bearing housing onto which the puller is attached after the fixing nuts have been removed.
R0042294s.jpg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
Sad to say my ultimate puller was a block of wood on the front of the flywheel through the starter motor aperture and a heavy hammer
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks for this Martin - forewarned is forearmed. Right now I'm the highest bidder - we will know tomorrow.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So the winning bidder was the VMR and so this puller will shortly be made available to members on a free loan basis, for just the cost of postage and return. Maybe we can gather some other useful tools like expanding reamers for the brake cam bushes and kingpin bushes. Any other special tools like this that might be useful to members on a loan basis?