OHC sidelamps - Beaulieu?

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

OHC sidelamps - Beaulieu?

Post by Ian Grace »

If anyone is going to Beaulieu next month, could they please look out for a pair of sound or even vaguely restorable OHC sidelamps for my fabric saloon KR 5670. It is missing its lamps and I have just about exhausted every avenue searching for a pair. I used to have several sets, of course, but nowadays, they seem impossible to find. I'd happily pay up to GBP 100 for a pair if they can be found.

Thanks!
peterb

Re: OHC sidelamps - Beaulieu?

Post by peterb »

Do you have a picture of what you're looking for.
Or dimensions ?
Peter
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Actually Peter, Tony Gamble has come up trumps again and a pair is winging there way to me right now!

But while I am on, I'm thinking of fitting them and wiring them so they can also be used as turn indicators - flashing when either the lamps are on or off. Does anyone have details of how to make this mod.? What flasher unit is needed (for 6 volts) and how to wire it in? I'd probably fit a hidden switch under the dashboard somewhere.

On the rear, I have the original Lucas TF201 on the number plate, but I'll also fit a pair of red tail lamps to the chassis cross-tube and have them flashing in the same manner. I did this on the Semi-sports as it avoided drilling into the rear wings, and the lamps could easily be removed, thereby reversing the mod. if anyone wanted to in the future. However, unlike the Semi-sports which was open, its much more difficult to indicate that you are turning left with a hand signal in a saloon - particularly here in the US where the driver is expected to be in the left hand seat anyway! I've taken the car up our hill a few times this week and I get nervous about turning left at the top to come back down again. Luckily, so far, I haven't seen another car!
tonym

Post by tonym »

Ian
These missing headlamps
Do they by any chance be the ones that I have had sitting in my dining room for a year or so ????

Tony
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes - and no! Those are for the McEvoy, but I'll need a second identical pair now. I wanted the ones you have to go to Vintage Headlamp Restorations, and I have the rims and fluted glasses here on my desk ready to post to them, but they have so far not answered my e-mails. I'll try to call them next week.

Ian
rmburnett

Post by rmburnett »

Hi Ian:

I've been thinking about converting to LED lamps - for brightness and much lower electrical load. I found a company called "Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions" (http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com) that supplies combined side/flasher bulbs, and much else, that will do exactly what you want. Ken Martin has used this company and we've both found them very helpful. Note that the LED load is so low that it's necessary to fit a special flasher unit designed.

It seems that LED headlamp bulbs may not be as good as filaments; maybe they are less of a point source and so don't give such a good beam? I'd be interested to hear of other experiences.

Roger
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Roger,

I juts received the sidelamps from Tony on Saturday and have them stripped and sorted for painting and re-assembly. I would have completed them over the weekend, were it not for storms that took out our power - we're still in the dark, and probably will remain so until mid week. :(

I believe that Peter Hills has converted his '29 tourer to LED lights and I'm polling him for info, which I will post here. He has previously reported 8 amps charging with all LED lights on.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thread creep alert! Time to start a new Tech thread on LED lights...
rmburnett

Post by rmburnett »

I resent the suggestion that I'm a thread creep!