The world's oldest surviving Minor is for sale

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

The world's oldest surviving Minor is for sale

Post by Ian Grace »

After searching for 1928 fabric saloon DO 7820 (chassis MM463) since it went to ground in 1988, the current owner has contacted the Register and wishes to sell the vehicle. Chassis laid down 30/10/28, despatched 9/11/28.

It would be very appropriate if a member of the Register were to acquire this significant vehicle. Therefore anyone that might be interested should contact me WITHOUT DELAY - before it goes on eBay and disappears for anothr 25 years!

The car is located in the Amersham/Chesham area. In the meantime, I will find out more about its current condition, etc. It was in coujncours condition in 1988, and may well still be.

The owner also has for sale a complete 1931 steel-bodied saloon that is a renovated rolling chassis with the body and coachwork still requiring renovation. I will find out more details of this car too.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: The world's oldest surviving Minor is for sale

Post by Ian Grace »

I had a long and informative chat with the owner today. His father was the chap who bought the car from Mr. Leggett back in 1988. The photo above was taken in 1986 at Stanford Hall. He died in 1990 and the car has remained in his widow's garage ever since - which explains why it could not be traced. Although it has been stored for some 23 years, the blue fabric and interior are still in excellent condition, but the wings and bonnet are suffering from 'microblistering'. Leggett had the car professionally restored in the eighties and so it is probable that it is in mechanically sound condition - and has probably not covered many miles since its restoration.

I have arranged to visit the car in July when we are over in the UK - I'll be particularly interested to see how original it is and how many of the very early features it retains. I do know that it has the very early narrow front dumbirons - with front spring mounting pins the same length as the shackle pins. Provided that things are as they seem, I will hopefully be becoming involved with it. This would mean that I will have a car to enter our summer rallies, as it would remain in the UK as the Register's flagship. Current photos and more news coming shortly - watch this space!
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Hope you Bought it already !! :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Negotiations have commenced. I'll probably make the final decision when I see the car in July - if not before!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The photo above was taken at the Morris Register's 15th Stanford Hall Rally in 1984 by Ken Martin, and appeared, with the photo below (also by Ken) in the Winter 1984 Journal. It was fresh out of a professional restoration at that time. Looks pretty tidy!

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Going to see DO next Wednesday. Will report when we get home to Seattle.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Took a look at her today. Typical eighties restoration with less than rigid adherence to originality. It hasn't run for 25 years so will need considerable work to road sort including sorting the incontinent dynamo. Radiator badge missing, as is the fuel cap. Morris 8 side lamps, etc. but it does have a number of early features including cast Aluminum front backplates, dished steering wheel, early track rod ends, etc. early carb has been replaced. Fabric is fair, but isn't right at the rear.

The chassis plate has been re-worked - probably from a Flatnose, it's a MM 1926 plate but the model, chassis and engine numbers have all been changed. The chassis number on the front dumb iron looks original (MM463). Has the early engine block but I couldn't find the engine number in the block. It has the very early dynamo. One slightly bizarre mod is a fabricated sheet steel steering box attachment bracket to the front chassis cross member.

Bottom line. Could be nicely sorted, but would take considerable funds to get right and road sorted. I have some homework to do before progressing with the seller.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here she is. First sight since 1988.

Like most cars, looks better in photos than in the flesh. The fabric is fine, but many early parts have been replaced with later items. Nevertheless, definitely worth saving and bringing back to correct original state.

It has acquired a few more badges since the Stanford Hall photos above! Notice the stubby fronts to the front wings - a characteristic of the very early cars - evident in the photos of the prototype UD-registered cars.

amershamlad

Post by amershamlad »

Ah Ian, so here is the Amersham oldest minor :)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Indeed it is!

It gets little to no use, but the usual applies - decided to sell it, then the family convinced him not to, so it sits idle.
amershamlad

Post by amershamlad »

What a shame, needs to be used, says he that has several static display projects :roll: