1929 Minor for sale in Victoria, Australia

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1929 Minor for sale in Victoria, Australia

Post by Ian Grace »

This letter was received from member Mick Bennie this evening:

"4th December, 2011

6 Roxburgh Court,
Epping VIC 3076

To The President,
Vintage Minor Register.

Dear Ian,

Over recent weeks it has become apparent that I bit off more than I could chew in the restoration of my 1929 Morris Minor, also known as the ‘Pambula Morrie’. Initial enthusiasm gave way to pig headed determination, but more recently I have become more realistic, and formed the opinion that this project will never be finished. My level of skill is more suited to a vehicle for which original spare parts are readily available. The lack of progress of the project has also become the subject of increasing marital disharmony. So it is with a combination of regret and relief that I announce that the vehicle is for sale.

The chassis number is M3953. This unit was shipped as a rolling chassis along with ten others from England in March 1929 to parts unknown. Mine is the only one to ever surface, according to the Vintage Minor Register (UK). A body would have been fitted upon arrival in Australia, according to the customer’s order. Subsequent restorations have seen it fitted with a 1931 side valve engine and a coupe body. The engine runs and the car drives, although it has not been driven for several months. I have cleaned and repainted the wire spoke wheels in black. I have replaced the running boards to a more original type. The brake shoes have all been professionally re-shod and the drums machined. The radiator was leaking and the core beyond repair. I had the radiator core replaced with a completely new core which retains the honeycomb style, while having straight water tubes. It was professionally rebuilt and has a warranty. The original outer frame was reused. It has a small builder’s plate with a date of 1915! The outer cowling was re-chromed. I also obtained an original, working Calometer, one of the few original spare parts I have been able to obtain off the internet.

The chassis is straight and in good condition. The front end is in particularly good condition with almost no play or backlash. I also have a number of spare parts, both original and new, which would assist the purchaser in future restoration. Obviously the vehicle is unregistered.

I have a starting price of $7,000, but this is negotiable. I also plan to donate 5% of the final price to the club which refers the buyer to me. For photos and further information, e-mails can be directed to me at mick.bennie@optusnet.com.au or by mobile on 0409 004 284. For international callers it would be +61409 004 284.

Mick Bennie"

This is the ex-Ken Smith Minor from Pambula, NSW. It was acquired from Ken by Mick in August 2009. A photo of the car is hyperlinked from the chassis register in the Members' Area.