1931 D Type D0263 JF 2451

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1931 D Type D0263 JF 2451

Post by Ian Grace »

This D Type is for sale as an incomplete kit of parts in Minneapolis for a very reasonable $5,000, and I am in contact with the seller, who has owned it since 1979 when he pulled it to pieces. It had the usual Ford engine fitted, but the owner has located two blocks, one of which is rebored with new pistons. I have a great deal of other info on the car and would be happy to co-ordinate the return of the car to the UK if anyone is interested, on the understanding that it is not converted into yet another C Type replica! (20 of the known 65 surviving D Types have suffered this fate.)

Build date 5th Nov 1931 and it was delivered to the dealer, Briggs of Leicester via SHN, on 18 Nov 1931 and sold to a Percy Remington on 1st Jan 1932. It was a standard 4 seat tourer in black with green upholstery and presumably therefore green wheels.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 1931 D Type D0263 JF 2451

Post by Ian Grace »

After a couple of nearly purchases, this excellent project is still available.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'm delighted to mark the re-launching of the forum with the news that today I acquired this car! It will be U-Hauled from Minneapolis, Minnesota to Seattle in August when I get back from the Summer Rally. The D Type is perhaps the least fancied of the MMM MG's, and has suffered from being converted into C Type replicas (the chassis for the D was taken from the C), but the survivors are actually very pretty cars and could be considered the first true MG Midgets, as the M shared 99% of its mechanics with the Minor. The D shares the OHC engine but with a chassis borrowed form the C which was entirely different from the Minor chassis. (A lengthened version was used for the six-cylinder F Type.) D0263 is the 13th of 250 Ds manufactured by MG.

I don't have very good photos of the car yet, but here are a couple. The 4-seater body has been modified with the fitting of a rear slab tank and the windscreen is from a Morrie 8 tourer, but nothing that cannot be sorted out.

Ted Hack runs the D Group within the MMM Register and has been extremely helpful and supportive over the last few months as I worked to save this car. He, and the D group will once again be present at Prescott in July.

And this is roughly what it will look like when sorted. Now that's what I call one good looking car!

Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Congratulations Ian.As your picture shows, these can be very pretty cars.I confess I thought long and hard about this one but the Atlantic proved too wide for me.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Looks like I'll be hauling the D Type back from Minneapolis to Seattle (about 2,000 miles) after the Summer Rally in August. The car has been fitted with hydraulics at some point, so I'm looking for a set of standard 8" cable braked backplates and shoes, plus a set of four finned MG drums if anyone has them?

I did win a set of these in an HVA auction in the spring, but these are earmarked for the McEvoy and I'm carrying those back with me from England.

I'll be looking for a ton of other parts for the D - but I have sourced an original D windscreen to replace the Morris 8 tourer one currently fitted. I am in need of a gearbox splined input shaft and a remote for the four-speed box.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the D's at Prescott and hopefully driving one! Three are currently booked in.