McEvoy body, anyone?

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

McEvoy body, anyone?

Post by Ian Grace »

Having studied the superb images of Geoff Body's new body for Toby Sears' tourer and looking at the 'before' images of this car, I got to thinking about my McEvoy, whose body is in about the same shape that Toby's tourer was before restoration.

If I can find an economical way of shipping it to the UK, I am considering having someone like Geoff, Garry Waiting or Dave Cooksey work their magic on the McEvoy. With shipping each way, it might be an expensive exercise, but I have to balance that against the cost, time and effort it would take me to do it here in Seattle, and most certainly to a poorer standard.

This raises the possibility of having one or two more Jensen/McEvoy bodies made at the same time by Geoff - if there is any demand. There might be, as the McEvoy makes a superb Minor and can be built on, and is correct for a relatively cheap 1932 or 1933 SV chassis. I'd also send over the cycle wings, valences, screen, etc. for restoration and copying.

Or would anyone be interested in recreating a McEvoy M Type?

Any interest?
Sam Christie

Re: McEvoy body, anyone?

Post by Sam Christie »

Ian, I think this is a really good idea but I have so many commitments I can only offer moral support at present.

It is wonderful to see faithfully restored cars, and even better to see the very rare examples of the purest form, namely the well preserved and virtually original.

But it is fascinating too to see a well researched re-creation of an interesting and rare car which otherwise might only exist in grainy faded pictures.This has been discussed before but at a gathering of Minors while it is a pleasure to see the ultra rare genuine original and the faithfully restored example it is a treat too to see an unusual car which though a re-creation is true to the period .

I think a McEvoy M-type (for example) would make a very interesting project - and I bet it would be a centre of attention at any gathering.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Interesting three quarter view of MG 704? Looks like early wheels, so a 1929 or 1930 M rebodied around 1932 or 1933?

Here's the sister car MG 703 owned by Ian Judd. Not a McEvoy, unfortunately, but with chassis number 2M/1910, first registered 1/7/30, which may date MG 704, although, accordign to Glass' Guide, the Middlesex MG numbers were issued randomly through the MG Car Company, starting in March 1930 and running from 1 to 8000. MG 8901 to MG 9999 were allocated to Government vehicles.

Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

By chance I found this picture and because the screen is different I assumed it was a different car but look at the AA badge and the big headlamps and the odd windscreen.It seems this owner had no reservations about modifying his car.This picture appears to have been taken before it had the McEvoy conversion!