Christmas virtual pub meet

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Christmas virtual pub meet

Post by Ian Grace »

By popular request, for the third year running - this thread is intended to be a vitrual pub meet for all to come and chat about anything they like over Christmas and the New Year. So drop in regularly and join everyone else for a virtual pint and mince pies!

It would be good to see more than just the regulars popping in - so if you happen to pass by this way, take a moment to say hello!
Toby

Re: Christmas virtual pub meet

Post by Toby »

just got in to take shelter from the hail and cold, brrr. Unbelievable weather, the rain this week has been freezing on contact with the ground, no snow down here, just rain!!! Glad to see you got the fire lit Ian, I see the staff are the same too. What a year, lots achieved but little money or substance to show for it. To be honest, I've popped in to escape Linda. We're preparing the xmas stuff and tempers are frayed... if only women were more like cars, actually given my fleet thats not such a good wish!... :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hey Toby,

Glad you popped in - it's 1137 am Christmas Eve here - stunning weather - frost this morning with a layer of freezing fog below us in the valley, but the snow-capped mountains around look spectacular under a gin clear sky. Fabulous sunset last night too. Incredibly, we have had virtually no snow so far - this time last year we were completely snowed in. Mind you, much of the central parts of the States are under blizzard conditions right now with thousands of flights canceled - you have to feel for everyone who won't be able to get home for Christmas - stuck in airports or trapped by closed highways. Sorry to see that the UK has also been hit hard. Keep safe, everyone.

Just got back from the last shopping trip (yea!) - turkey collected - having a German Christmas Eve with the family tonight (Heiligabend) - will be glad to finally put my feet up - it's been a crazy year all round, but I think we've come out on top.

Here's to everyone and their families - have a wonderful Christmas,
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just received a membership form this morning from Vern Wiegand today - he's the chap with the '34 Minor trials special who lives in Colorado. Check out his very interesting car - JY 4498 - on the chassis register.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Anyone get anything good for Christmas? Among other things, got a GPS, Glenlivet (12) and Dalwhinnine (15). Three tasty gifts. :D
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I did well this Christmas - 2 bottle Glenmorangie, 2 bottles Bruichladdich and one Laphroaig, this none is too 'peaty' for my taste so I mix it with Ginger to make a good Whisky Mac.Highlander
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Laphroaig is very peaty - I was introduced to it by Malcolm Elder about 30 years ago when visiting his vintage car offerings - went to look at a SV Minor saloon, but didn't buy it, so had lunch with him anyway in his local - his local pub had about 120 single malts on offer - with bottles arranged right around the bar on a high shelf. Steelpe Aston, I believe - very close to Upper Heyford US air base. Actually, Laphroaig is one of my favourites because of its peatiness. Not experienced Bruichladdich though - yet!
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

"Wash your mouth out Paul!! Welsh Whisky v A Single Malt is like taking your Daughter to the Church in an Austin 7"
So what sort of a crime must it be to use Laphroaig as a mixer with ginger!!?? :roll: :evil:
Toby

Post by Toby »

Well I didnt get a new ash frame for xmas, lots of food though so will have to consider a space frame in titanium to carry our increased weight! Hoped to get a photo of a minor in the snow but still only rain here!!! did see the snow remnants round Reading... :D Bit quiet in here this year, we must all be concentrating on our rebuilds?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just got back from the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, Seattle, which includes some British aircraft including Concorde G-BOAG, Spitfire LFIX, SE5A, Sopwith Camel, Snipe and Triplane - wonderful day out. The original Red Barn is there - the original Boeing building which now houses some amazing early Boeing aircraft parts, and is also well worth a visit. Later this week, I'm taking my son William to Everett to visit the Boeing production lines and see the new Boeing Dreamliner which had its first flight here just before Christmas. They also have a fascinating Amelia Earhart exhibition on at the moment - inspired me to get on with my Gipsy Moth rebuild, which I may restore as a replica of Amy Johnson's 'Jason' - and paint as G-AAAH (mine was actually registered G-AAEG in 1929, but is virtually the same spec. as 'AH).

Also plenty to eat and drink here - just about finished the turkey. Weather is still incredible - blue skies and mid forties today, clear skies at night and not so much as a frost the last few nights. This time last year we were snowed in.

Just supping a Fullers ESB before cooking the dinner - excellent beers in this pub! Actually, I was able to get a great selection of English beers from a shop in Seattle called malt & VIne - got Ruddles, Bombardier, Fullers ESB, Batemans (even including their Rosey Nosey Christmas ale) and others. Hoping to convert the old basement in our new place into a decent replica of a British country pub - it certainly has the authentic old beams and low ceiling.
Toby

Post by Toby »

A plane rebuild too? how do you find the time? not sure I'd want to fly in anything I'd rebuilt... :lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The Moth project is on a slow fuse right now, while I push to complete the Piper Colt, which I hope to have in the air in about 3 or 4 years from now. But it is fun scouring the old Empire for original parts.

In January, I'm starting my PPL refresher course with Boeing, and converting my license from a British one to an FAA one. Then I'm going for my Instrument Rating in 2011. So that little lot should keep me out of the pub! :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well here's to everyone for a great, safe and prosperous 2010! Hope to see as many of you as possible at Prescott July!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby wrote:A plane rebuild too? how do you find the time? not sure I'd want to fly in anything I'd rebuilt... :lol:
I have owned a number of aircraft over the years - here is a selection:

Here's my very first Tiger Moth - found it in a hangar at Cranwell when I was training there. ex-47 Sqn Flying Club - that's the Station Commander with Ian Orr-Ewing - Minister of Aviation 1957 to 1959 - note the Beverlys in the mist. The Czech pilot is Gerry Schillong.

Here's another of my Tigers - foudn this on in a million pieces a hangar in Santa Rosa -about 100 miles north of San Francisco. It dates from 1933 and is the 33rd production Tiger Moth of many thousands. Here it is at Woburn Abbey more recently:

G-BKXR is a Turbulent I found in Denmark while on RAF exercises there - I bought it, dismantled it and brought it home in the back of a three-tonner. All sorts of fun and games at Harwich with customs! :o

G-AJAP was a Luscombe 8A - a delight to fly like all Luscombes. Tricky with such a narrow undercarriage, but highly rewarding when flown well - which I rarely achieved! :D

G-BRHX and Y were two other 8E Luscombes I imported from California:

Here's a very nice Tripacer I found in Los Angeles - didn't need any work:

G-AKUR was one of a pair of Cessna 140's I also imported from California. Seen here at Popham:

Here's my current projects - the Piper Colt:

And the Moth G-AAEG - well, this is what it will look like when finished!

Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, Some of us Army wallers are seeing you in a different light!!! Are you a Royal Air Force man? Super pictures. If I could I would sent you all some pictures of me Scottish Dancing - anything to wake Paul up!!. Highlander. PS I have tried to copy the callender but must be out of ink - Are sv models welcomed in the VMR? Miffed Highlander!!!!