The Morris Minor and M Type Centenary 2028

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

The Morris Minor and M Type Centenary 2028

Post by Ian Grace »

News from the Advance Planning Department!

In 2003, when the Register was just three years old, we celebrated the 75th Anniversary of the Minor and M Type.

Now, the Centenary of our cars is now just over ten years away. That might seem a long time, but preliminary planning has just begun to mark this historic occasion.

Ideas are obviously fluid at this very early stage, but it seems to me that we should mark this occasion appropriately. I'd like to set a goal of gathering ONE HUNDRED pre-war Morris Minors to mark the Centenary. To achieve this will take a lot of planning and co-ordination, but it will give many a good chance (and a good goal) to have their cars on the road for the Centenary. We may hold the gathering as part of our Prescott Summer Rally weekend, or we may hold a separate gathering at somewhere like Gaydon. The exact location and date are unimportant at this time, but hopefully the official announcement will help everyone to make plans for their cars. In order to achieve this magic number, we'll probably have to have around 110 to 120 entries - to cover any shortfall due to no-shows on the day (or more likely a full weekend).

Of course, 2028 will also mark the Centenary of the M Type MG, so let's see if we can also gather 100 M Types on the day. What a sight 200 of our cars would be!

If anyone has any suggestions how we can make the Centenary a great event, please post here!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: The Morris Minor and M Type Centenary 2028

Post by Ian Grace »

And just like that, five years have passed and our Centenary is just six year away!

The Austin Seven world is celebrating their Centenary this year and they have over TWELVE HUNDRED Sevens booked in!

I'd like to repeat the goal of gathering 100 Minors and perhaps 100 M Types and we should also not forget that 2028 will be the Centenary of the M.G. 18/80, so they will be invited as well for good measure.

The current idea is to hold a Centenary gathering during the week before our Summer Rally weekend, to make a week of fun and games in and around the Cotswolds. This may well represent an impetus to those of us who have cars under restoration and also an opportunity for our overseas members to join us, with a week of activities making the trip worthwhile.

For my part, I'm going to set myself the goal of having my McEvoy there. I've had it since 2007 and this is just the sort of incentive I need to crack on with it, which I am now doing.

Those who would like to make the Centenary their goal are invited to declare their interest on this thread or let me know at vintageminor@gmail.com.