Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2016

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2016

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter,

Great photo and one I haven't seen before. SU decided not to continue their support of Pre-War Prescott, but I think it is their loss! We have an incredible weekend coming up in July with over 200 cars and over forty vintage aircraft headed by the iconic Avro Lancaster.

Latest booking received yesterday is Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton GCB ADC LLD BSc FRAes CCMI RAF who will be our Guest of Honor. He was the Chief of the Air Staff (the same post that Trenchard held) before his recent retirement.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get the weather depicted in this Shelsley photo!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Now comes the fun bit for me - assembling the Sunday Navigation Rally and parallel Scenic Tour. Here's how it is done. First, the general direction of the day is chosen. This year, after several year's break, we're heading east, up over the Cotswold escarpment into some of the most scenic English countryside imaginable. Then the lunchtime pub is selected, which is always a very tricky challenge. We need to find a good pub with traditional fare and ales, with plenty of capacity and parking and which will be able to cope with a busy summer Sunday lunchtime plus about 80 or 90 vintage car bods - NOT an easy task! (But we have picked a really excellent one this year.) Then the area is closely searched using the OS maps, the internet and other resources to identify a variety of places of interest for the clue locations - which may or may not normally be open to the public. Then comes a vast number of e-mails and phone calls as locations are selected and finalized. Only then can the setting of clues be started.

The fun bit is then plotting the route using the OS maps and then 'driving' it virtually, using Google Earth Street View. This allows the route to be closely checked against the map and all of the junction signposts to be read so that they can be transcribed into the Tour Handbook, as well as the sealed explicit route instructions that are distributed to the navigation rallyists at the start - just in case they get hopelessly lost and give up, when they will simply open the envelope and transfer to the Scenic Tour.

Right now, we're just finalizing the clue locations, and we have a really super variety this year - possibly the best we have ever had, with some hidden, fascinating and sometimes thought-provoking locations.

Finally, I put together the Route Card, the Clue Card and write the Scenic Tour Handbook, and print all, including the sealed route instructions - not to mention obtaining the various trophies and awards to be distributed at the end of the day, which this year will be at Stanway House again. Stanway is fast becoming the Register's favourite Sunday conclusion venue, not only because of its quintessential English setting and delicious cream teas but because of the spectacular 300 ft gravity fountain that we get to enjoy every time we visit.

Finally, Jayne and I will actually drive the route (on Tuesday 12th July this year) in order to check that everything works, the instructions are accurate and there are no lanes closed due to last-minute road works, etc. And, of course we have to visit the lunchtime pub to give it our seal of approval!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just a quick update regarding entries and climbs. As of this morning, and with just over fifty days to go, we have 135 vintage and pre-war cars entered for Pre-War Prescott 2016 with another 7 known entries in the pipeline. We have been working feverishly behind the scenes to free up as many climbs as possible, and thanks to the generosity of many, we are pleased to announce that we have in the region of 120 climbs left to be allocated. We are expecting a total of around 200 entries, so we should be on target for everyone who has not yet entered to be able to have at least two climbs on the day. Having said that, it would not be a bad idea, if you are intending to come along and wish to climb the hill, to get your entry in without delay. This also helps us in organizing the ticketing which is a massive task each year, and the sooner we can allocate tickets, the less pressure there is in the last couple of weeks before the big day. (All tickets are printed and enveloped in Seattle and then shipped in bulk to England for onward posting, and this process has to be completed early in order to guarantee delivery before the day to everyone.)

Of course you might wish to come along and not climb the hill. Pre-War Prescott’s relaxed garden party atmosphere draws may each year, and the Paddock is the venue for a lot of first class picnics! If you are not intending to climb the hill on the day, please indicate when you enter so that your free climb can be freed up for someone else. Thanks in advance!

As for the entry list as it stands, this can be viewed at http://prewarprescott.com/?page_id=547 and is updated regularly as entries are received (the latest was the D Type MG of Digby and Julia Gibbs who entered online morning). If you have entered already, it would be another good idea to check your entry online and let us know if there are any discrepancies.

The entry list now contains an incredible 43 MMM MG’s – we had a record 35 on the day last year, and that number was boosted by the Dutch contingent who won’t be with us this year (but are expected next year). It is very possible that we will see at least 50 MMMs on the day this year. We have a record 6 MG D Types entered this year already (any more out there?), which is more than the 5 M Types entered – and we’d very much like to see many more M’s join us.

In other Pre-War Prescott news, this morning we heard from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight confirming the arrival time of the Avro Lancaster which will run in low over the Paddock as precisely 1410 hrs before heading off to Farnborough to display there.

See you there!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So far 13 Minors booked in, and 6 M Types. We have a total of 40 VMR members booked in, so this must be the largest gathering of members ever!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Planning is going flat out at the moment and I'm working with the Air training Corps to put together their 75th Anniversary celebration at Prescott on the day. Plans are provisional at the moment, but we expect to have their recruiting vehicle complete with flight simulator, a marching drum band and at least two gliders in the Paddock. That will be another first for Prescott!

I'm currently wrapping up the Souvenir Programme. This is normally 28 pages, but this years will be a bumper 44-page issue, almost as big as our quarterly Magazines.

If you have not booked yet, now would be a good time to do so, while there are still climbs left. As of today, we have a very impressive 43 members booked in.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Our Summer Rally is four weeks today! So far, 15 Minors booked in, which is very good, but there is space for more. Any takers?

Jayne and I will be arriving at Gatwick three weeks this morning and we're staying just outside Bath for a few days before heading for Winchcombe, our base camp for the weekend. We're checking out the Sunday route on Tuesday so we'll have plenty of time on Friday to prepare Prescott, including erecting a brand new VMR marquee this year. We'll be around on Friday afternoon to welcome the campers as they arrive and then head for the Royal Oak at Gretton for our traditional Friday evening reception. We have tables for 30 booked with more space if we need it, and the landlord is getting in barrels of Prescott Ales just for us!

The farewll run this year will be to the Mount at Stanton. Both of these pubs have spectacular views across the Vale of Evesham to the Malverns and beyond.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Forgot to mention that we have two course cars this year. Aston Martin Cheltenham are providing a new Aston for the day, and Cotswold Motorsport are bringing something suitable - very probably a top of the range Porche. They should add some interest to the start line.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Breaking news. The BBMF Lancaster is still unserviceable following its near catastrophic in-flight engine fire last season. It should have been flying again by now, but there was a SNAFU with the fire retardant paint on the fuel tanks that were removed for overhaul while repairs were being undertaken. So today I heard from OC Ops at the BBMF, 'Parky' Parkinson, that they will be launching a Spitfire to replace the Lanc for us on Saturday. That is extremely good of them to make sure that we have BBMF air support. I asked which Spit they would be scrambling for us - apparently they won't know until a few days in advance - they have FIVE to choose from!

Jayne and I fly Vancouver, Toronto, Gatwick a week tonight. The day draws near.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just wrapping up final planning today - we head for Vancouver tomorrow then overnight to London.

A fantastic weekend is in store ans entries are still coming in - now approaching 170, with 51 for Sunday. And the weather forecast is looking very good!

Really looking forward to seeing everyone again. Remember, its the Royal Oak at Gretton Friday night. Tables or 30 booked and more i we need them.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Arrived in the UK - all set for a superb weekend. 172 entries, 20 vintage aircraft, a Spitfire and even a glider in the Paddock! Only 13 Minors though - the baker's dozen we have had at virtually every rally since 2001. Still, maybe some more will turn up on the day. We'll see. However, we do have a very creditable 50 members booked in - just most not with their Minors! :?
martinng

Post by martinng »

Ian, a fabulous weekend! Thanks to you and Jayne for all the hard work organising it.
The Sunday scenic tour was a magnificent success topped off by the fountain.
Only one road that was not really 'suitable' but perhaps I'm just a wimp, although it did bring the Oxford temporarily to its knees.
We think that the battery isolator joggled 'off' with a comprehensive and worrying loss of everything.
Toddington locos
Toddington locos
IMGP0867s.jpg (114.82 KiB) Viewed 5525 times
Head scratching moment
Head scratching moment
IMGP1042s.jpg (124.04 KiB) Viewed 5525 times
Fountain rainbow
Fountain rainbow
IMGP1067s.jpg (59.9 KiB) Viewed 5525 times
John Dixon

Post by John Dixon »

Here is a film of Prescott hill in my 1927 Rolls-Royce limousine. The time was 1 min 56 secs

https://youtu.be/SMgSarGDvic
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here are some outstanding online photos form the day:

http://571photography.blogspot.com/2016 ... scott.html