Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2015

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2015

Post by Ian Grace »

And more good news! This morning I called Stanway House and spoke to Lord Wemyss who has generously offered to open up his estate to us again this year for the conclusion of the Sunday rally and tour. It is normally only open to the public two days in the week. There will be cream teas, results, awards and a private viewing of the spectacular 300 foot gravity fountain again for us. And we will be able to park our cars in front of the house for photos. There could not be a more magical location to conclude the weekend!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just been on the phone for half an hour with Peter Vacher in Abingdon sorting out the details of the Hurricane display and poring over OS map 150 and Google Earth to establish the display line, etc. This information is required in order to submit the display application to the CAA - now all complete and ready to go! The display line will be basically along the railway line which is virtually parallel to the clubhouse. This is not going to be like the usual Battle of Britain Memorial Flight visits where we just get three flypasts. This will be a full-blown aerobatic display lasting about fifteen minutes. I can almost see and hear it now!

There is some other great news in the pipeline which I should be able to share next week once confirmed. I'll post here as soon as I can.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Planning is progressing! Tons of stuff yet to do, and only 50 days to go! But we're getting there. Two entries today - Philip Butland with his CMS Special and a very nice, very early 1922 Bentley 3 litre. So far, we have 14 Minors booked in, so its going to be another great Minor gathering.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Quick numbers update. 300 climbs booked, 15 Minors now entered and 100 for the evening Battle of Britain Victory Party!

32 MMM cars entered so far, but just three M Types - need more M Types! :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Working flat out on the Sunday proceedings today. And in less than 48 hours, we have already raised a fantastic GBP 610 towards the Hurricane display - thanks guys! On top of this, the sculptor has decided to DONATE the model of R4118 - worth over GBP 200, which has enabled me to order another superb model (of a different aircraft) to be awarded as the top prize on Sunday - and this will be winnable by BOTH the nav rallyists AND the scenic tourists! Both models will be on display in the Prescott Clubhouse on Saturday evening - flanking a six foot span model Lancaster being displayed by the Lincolnshire Lancaster Association who will have a large display in the Paddock during the day. It's all coming together to make a fantastic weekend!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's a good omen! I was looking in to the history of Hurricane R4118 this morning. All RAF aircraft are issued with a Form 78 Movements Card that details their acceptance into the RAF and all of the units it is subsequently allocated to.

The first entry on the Form 78 for R4118 reads:

"Allotted to 22 MU, (Maintenance Unit), Silloth"

All RAF aircraft were initially allocated to an MU where they were given Squadron markings, fitted out with various Air Ministry equipment, etc. RAF Silloth was an RAF airfield on the Scottish coast, just west of Carlisle.

And the date? "18.7.40" - 75 years TO THE DAY to its display this year at Pre-War Prescott!

By the way, our appeal for funds to support the display currently stand at a fantastic GBP 710 - raised from you guys in just 48 hours! Our target is GBP 2,400, 25% of which will go to the RAF Charitable Trust, and the remainder exactly covering the cost of the display and CAA display permit. Additionally, Diverse Images, crafters of the exquisite pewter model of R4118 that we will be awarding on Saturday evening has been donated to us by the company, enabling us to purchase a SECOND model (a Spitfire!), which will be the top award on Sunday, and competed for by both the navigation rallyists AND the scenic Tourists. Keep up the good work, and keep your entries coming in!
peterb

Post by peterb »

Silloth is a spa town and port on the Cumbrian, not Scottish, coast. I recently drove through it in the Minor which was unforgettable because the main streets are paved with granite setts which are bone-shaking !!!

Flying Officer Albert Bosward DFC came from Silloth.
Albert Bosward became a Commissioned Pilot Officer in 1942 and was promoted to Flying Officer on 17 October 1943. He flew 4 engine Lancasters with 9 Squadron and took part in a number of raids over Germany and France. On 11/12 September 1944, the squadron went to Archangel in Russia in order to attack the German battleship Tirpitz which was sheltering in a Norwegian fjord. Bosward took part in the raids in which the battleship was damaged but not sunk. It was later sunk by the RAF on 12 November 1944. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) on 14 November 1944 for his part in the Tirpitz raid. (Wikipedia)

http://www.ronaldv.nl/abandoned/airfiel ... mbria.html
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter,

Thanks for the important correction and for this further fascinating information.

This morning I received the bio for our pilot for Saturday evening which makes interesting reading. Should be up to the job :wink:

Keith Dennison

Keith Dennison - started flying early, at the age of 12, and gained his glider pilot’s licence at the earliest possible moment, on his 16th birthday. He earned an RAF Flying Scholarship at 17 leading to him gaining his PPL shortly after his 17th birthday, and all this before he could drive a car.

He joined the RAF as a pilot in 1975 and studied Aeronautical Engineering at Bath University. He completed flying training on the Jet Provost, Hawk and Hunter before spending time on 23 and 56(F) Squadrons at RAF Wattisham flying the McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom in the air defence role. During this, his first tour, he qualified as a weapons and tactics instructor on the Phantom before moving on to 19(F) Squadron at RAF Wildenrath in Germany where he served as the Squadron’s qualified weapons instructor pilot.

In 1988 he attended the United States Navy Test Pilot School and qualified as a test pilot as one of the 2 distinguished graduates of Class 94. There followed a tour a Boscombe Down working on a wide variety of projects including all marks of Tornado, Tucano spinning trials and work on the Eurofighter Typhoon cockpit design. He commanded Fast Jet Test Squadron at Boscombe Down from 1995 to 1998 during which time he qualified on all marks of the Harrier and contributed to work on the development of flight control laws for the US/UK Joint Strike Fighter project.

He served again at Boscombe Down, this time as the Chief Test Pilot, from Sep 1999 to the end of 2001. In this period he qualified as a helicopter pilot and flew routinely with all three of Boscombe Down’s test squadrons and the Empire Test Pilot School.

Keith left the Royal Air Force at the end of 2005 to take up the post of Chief Test Pilot for BAE SYSTEMS at Warton. There he was responsible for the company's developmental flight testing of Typhoon, Hawk, Tornado and Harrier. Having left BAE SYSTEMS in 2008, Keith now works as an independent aerospace consultant and works on contracts worldwide delivering test flying, test pilot instruction and wider aerospace consultanct services to a wide range of clients. He also volunteers as a test pilot with e-Go aeroplanes, a start-up company producing a radical, very light weight, pusher canard aircraft made from carbon-fibre; if all goes well Keith will be conducting the first flight of the aircraft in September 2013.

Keith has flown over one hundred different aircraft types and, as well as displaying Hurricane Mk1, R4118, he is a regular display pilot with the Shuttleworth Collection.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Planning is going crazy right now, with just over a month to go. Entries are pouring in and also fantastic donations for the Hurricane display, with GBP 1,210 donated just since the weekend - thanks guys. Diverse Images has also donated the superb Hurricane model as well as a lovely Spitfire print and Hurricane pilot Will Clark has very generously donated his entire stock of 12 autographed memoirs to the cause. We have prepared and printed 24 very special draw tickets for the Hurricane model - 12 of which are already spoken for. The response has been so good that we intend to add some very special additional prizes to the draw which will be made during the Battle of Britain Victory Party in the evening. And we couldn't be more excited about the very special and unique but secret plans for Sunday where the winning crew (nav rallyist or scenic tourist) will go home with a gorgeous 1:48 scale pewter model from Diverse Images.

This from Dr. Gil Collins who entering his blown MG J2 last December for PWP 2015, and who has donated GBP 100:

"My father Sgt pilot G A Collins was killed in a crash landing of Hurricane Mk. 1 P2548 at Hall farm, Hanningham 14.12.40. The Hurricane was repaired and went back into service. This sad event took place 4 months before I was born. I am a qualified pilot myself and would be delighted if you could arrange for me just to sit in the cockpit at its home airfield some time. Dr. Gilbert C S Collins" This will be arranged.

Also delighted to report that or Patron, Lady Tanya Field has also made a donation of GBP 100. Donations received so far have ranged from GBP 10 to GBP 200 so far.

I didn't manage to get a Newsletter out in May due to pressure of work, rally planning, etc. but look out for one in the next few days. Also look out for the July issue of The Automobile which comes out this weekend and contains our half page advert for Pre-War Prescott. And I'm determined to get M 154, the Summer issue out before the rally!

Numbers for the weekend so far are fantastic for this year. With just over five weeks to go, we have 107 entries, 326 climbs booked, 112 for the Victory Party and 30 entries for the Sunday rally and tour. Keep them coming!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Make that GBP 1,460 - just received an anonymous donation of GBP 250! So that's GBP 365 already for the RAF Charitable Trust.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

15 Minors booked in so far. The latest is David Rolfe with his 1930 saloon. Also, Peter Hills has entered his '29 tourer - he had business in London last year and didn't arrive until the evening. We had 18 Minors last year, so we're well on track for another record turnout.

And we also have a convoy of WW2 military vehicles joining us - including five 'heavies', which is another first for us. Just checking we can have tracked vehicles in the Paddock!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Our Summer Rally is one month today! Planning is going extremely well for our biggest and best rally ever which will include for the first time a convoy of World War Two military and RAF ‘heavy’ vehicles. These will be coming to us from the Ashdown military camp near Evesham. So don’t be surprised if you are met by the Military Police on the gate when you arrive! If you are planning to come along for the Pre-War Prescott Garden Party and day of untimed climbs on Saturday 18th July and/or the Navigation Rally or Scenic Tour on Sunday 19th, then please get your entry in without delay so that we can arrange to get your tickets to you in good time. If you are entering the Navigation Rally, you will need Ordnance Survey map 150 (any edition), but if you are entering the Scenic Tour, your Tour Handbook will contain easy-to-follow route instructions. And don’t forget our Friday evening informal reception at the Shutters Inn in Gotherington – just a couple of miles along the lane from Prescott. All most welcome!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just ordered a PAL copy of the McGregor brothers' Battle of Britain documentary to show after the Saturday night BBQ and Hurricane display - the programme features R4118. It is one of my all time favourite DVD's!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Today was spent finalizing the Souvenir Programme for Pre-War Prescott. As you know, we are marking the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain this year. I must admit that, writing this Programme has been a moving experience - you will see why when you read it. The programme also includes a tribute to Andrew Batey, who lost his personal battle with cancer a couple of months ago. His widow Sue and friends and supporters will be bringing Andrew's 1939 Series E tourer to Prescott. Andrew entered the car, his final restoration, back in the spring, but was aware that he might not be around to bring it himself.

If anyone is unable to make the weekend, but would like to see the programme, please e-mail me and I will send you a proof copy.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Our Summer Rally is two weeks today today! Today is Independence Day here in the USA, so we have family over for a BBQ this evening and I just watched the qualifying for Silverstone tomorrow. The weather looks settled in the Gloucestershire 14 day forecast, so all fingers are crossed - whatever the weather it cannot be worse than last year!

Right now we have just ten Minors positively booked in, which is a good way short of the 18 that we gathered last year. But we are hoping for some late entries and more just turning up on the day. With TWENTY Austin 7's booked in, we have some way to go! We have an fantastic 33 MMM MG's booked in, 11 Alvises and even four Bentleys, including a couple of very interesting early cars.

I'm also hoping that any member who doesn't have his car actually running, or cannot bring it for any reason will turn up and spectate and swell the VMR numbers. If you are planning to come along but haven't yet entered, please get in touch without delay.