Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2014

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2014

Post by Ian Grace »

This is going to be a 1929 tourer fest!

So far, we have these nickel-radiatored 1929 tourers booked in:

Peter Hills
John Paternoster
Peter Stubberfield
Janie Maeers
Geoff Colquitt

In addition, we have the rare 1933 tourer ANO 17 of new member Philip Young.

So far twelve Minors boooked in, which is extremely encouraging at this early point.

Any other takers?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I have had a couple of members send in their entries with GBP 35 entry fee. This is a reminder that VMR entry is just GBP 20, since we host the day. Refunds will be sent.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So our friends at the Wolseley Hornet Specials Club have reserved 15 slots in the Paddock, but these are not for the local owners. They are reserved for 15 Hornets coming from Germany for the event. A veritable invasion!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And the Sevenists have just let me know that they are entering a team in the Lewis & Nicholson Compass needle match again!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Re my 17th April post, I can now announce what's going on. Elizabeth Halls' father was a wartime night fighter pilot and during the war he bought a 1935 Singer Le Mans for forty quid. When he was demobbed, he had to sell it, but it remained his favourite car of all time. Now his daughter has bought an identical car and plans to drive it to all 59 RAF stations that her father landed at during the war in order to keep his memory alive and to raise funds for the RAF Benevolent Fund, who were so generous to the family when her father was terminally ill.

This is just the sort of story that Pre-War Prescott is all about - remembering those who served, their cars that also served, and paying back just a little of the debt we all owe.

Elizabeth will be bringing her Singer to Prescott where it will be flanked by other members of the Singer Owners' Club. She will have an opportunity to meet the RAF Charitable Trust trustees and we will be able to give her a worthy send-off.

Elizabeth sent me a list of Tiger Moths that her father trained on at Prestwick in 1940. A quick search showed that just one of these has survived, and, happily, is airworthy in Suffolk and painted in her original Prestwick red and silver scheme (before it was put in camouflage). The owner Paul Harvey has eagerly agreed to fly it down over the weekend an display it over Prescott on the Saturday. That should be quite a sight.

Elizabeth has started a blog which can be found at http://wheretheyserved.com/.

All good stuff! And we only found out about it because she wandered into David Hinds' garage the other day when she spotted him fettling his M Type!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Quick update - 13 Minors now entered, which bodes very well for a great turnout! And 11 of these are OHC, so we could easily see an OHC Minor gathering record this year. Where are you SV Minor guys? Keep the entries coming!

Four M Types so far, and a total of 16 MMM.

We also have a VVVIP coming to Prescott for the first time. I'll be able to announce shortly.

Total is 103 entries so far, so we're well on mour way to a capacity 200 vintage and pre-war cars.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

More great news. Lady Tanya Field, our new VMR Patron will be joining us at Prescott. She is the granddaugter of the 7th Earl of Maccclesfield who provided the young William Morris with the funds to start Morris production, purchasing GBP 4,000 of preference shares in the fledgling business 100 years ago last year.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The VVVIP is not Lady Tanya Field, she is just a humble VVIP!

The VVVIP is Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton, until last year the Chief of the Air Staff - the highest position in the RAF and the same position held by Trenchard. He is a Vice Patron of the RAF Charitable Trust and also an old school and university friend of mine. He reached ACM and I reached Flt Lt which tells you all you need to know about the two of us!

But seriously, the Summer Rally this year is going to be incredible and a record gathering of Register members. Mike Wood entered yesterday, bringing the total to 14 Minors entered already.

Paul Harvey is bringing his Tiger Moth from Suffolk on Friday and positioning it at Kemble for the weekend, from where he will operate on Saturday. He and Elizabeth Halls will be joining us at the Shutters at Gotherington on Friday evening. I'm going to suggest to Paul that he donate a flight in this historic pre-war Tiger to be auctioned at lunchtime by Hereford Vintage Auctions as part of our support of the RAF Charitable Trust.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

In other news, and to help raise as big a donation for the RAF Charitable Trust as we can, for any entrant or spectator that turns up at the Prescott gate clutching an Air Tattoo Programme (RIAT is the previous weekend), we'll donate five Pounds of their entry to the Trust.

We are advertising Pre-War Prescott in the RIAT Programme (60,000 copies get circulated), and I'm working with the RIAT management to arrange for Elizabeth Halls to be able to display her Singer Le Mans at Fairfofd to promote her Airfield Tour and PWP. All good stuff!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Still 13 Minors and counting for Saturday. Any more takers?

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sitting here in my office in Seattle this Friday afternoon, it just occurred to me that six weeks tonight, Jayne and I will be welcoming many of you at the delightful Shutters Inn, Gotherington for the informal pub reception that will kick off the Summer Rally weekend. We also usually swing by the Orchard at Prescott on Friday evening to welcome campers as they arrive, after having spent the day recce'ing the Sunday nav rally/scenic tour route around the Cotswolds - making sure there are no closed roads, flooded fords, etc. and generally making sure that the navigation rally clues and tour route instructions actually work! Google Street View is a Godsend, but this, and the OS maps can only tell you so much. Right now we have 12 cars entered for the nav rally and a further 19 on the tour. And the Austin Seven crew are all set to challenge us once again in the annual needle match for the coveted Lewis & Nicholson Compass!

14 Minors and 5 M Types entered for Prescott to date. Any more takers?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Make that 15 Minors - Clive Hamilton-Gould just declared, and he's also entring his Minor in the Light Car Summer Rally next weekend where we hope to see another good LCES turnout.

Of these 15, a dozen are OHC, so we're still looking for more SV entries! So far, we have John Nagle with his '34 2-seater, new member Philip Young with his newly-acquired '33 tourer ANO 17, and non-member (but not for long! :D ) John Burton with is '33 2-seater.

Apart from Minors and M's, several members will be at Prescott spectating. Alex Dempster will be joining us all the way from New Zealand, and Chris Dunster is coming along, and not to forget our patron Lady Tanya Field who will be joining us for the first time. Also Ian Harris will be there with his Cunard 10/6 (his recently-acquired Minor Calshott special is still receiving urgent TLC). That makes about 24 members in all that I know of, which is about 10% of our worldwide membership - not bad at all, and there's still six weeks to go.

Anyone else intending to be there but not declared yet?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Make that 16 Minors - Colin Lee just sent in his entry with his 1930 saloon - so 13 OHC Minors now. I think that is an all-time record at any Minor gathering. Plus 7 M Types already booked in. So that's 23 Minors/M's and counting. 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Make that 17 - of which 14 are OHC. Stuart Clark just entered. Now we're definitely in record territory.

Along with the 23 MMM entries, that will be at least 37 OHC engines ticking away!

Come on you SV guys - only three so far...?
WD1940

Post by WD1940 »

Afraid my engine does not tick - it coughs and splutters! See you there. Stuart