Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2014

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2014

Post by Ian Grace »

Planning is getting into full swing with much work going on behind the scenes. Note the dates - Friday evening 18th July to Sunday evening 20th July.

Just sent off our request for Battle of Britain Memorial Flight air support to the RAF HQ 1 Gp today. Incredibly, we are three for three for the first three Pre-War Prescotts - the Lancaster in 2011 (and what a sight that was!), then a Spitfire in 2012 and then a Hurricane last year. 2014 might be a little more tricky, sincethe Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) at nearby RAF Fairford won't be the same weekend, so we are largely dependednt on being roughly in the track between other full display events. This year, RIAT will be the previous weekend - so it doesn't clash with the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh the following weekend. So fingers crossed that our bid is successful.

On the plus side, we may attract more entries and spectators because the two events do not clash, and it will be much easier for the RAF Charitable Trust Trustees and Air Cadets to join us in force on Saturday. Also, there will be far less traffic in the area over the weekend.

The next task is to get the 2014 Summer Rally website up and running, which I hope to complete by Christmas.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2014

Post by Ian Grace »

From the BBMF website today:

'The closing date for applications for the 2014 season has now passed and requests are being processed. All organisers will be notified of the outcome of their bids from approximately mid-February 2014. We would ask for your patience while we compile and ratify the 2014 programme and thank you for your continued support.'

Fingers crossed!

https://cms.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/rafpublishe ... de=preview
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

43 entries so far, which is well up on last year at this point.

This morning, SU confirmed headline sponsporship once again.

So far, we have three Minors entered - Martin Gregory, Philip Butland and David Roscoe, plus Peter Smith with his M Type. Other entries include Riley, Bentley, Ford, Bugatti, GN, Lagonda, Hillman, Wolseley, Sunbeam, Alfa Romeo, the Beckenham Special and of course the Skinner Special.

So we're shaping up to be even better than last year.
martinng

Post by martinng »

Hi Ian, does the entry include a 1927 Morris Oxford Tourer by any chance. I was exepcting my friend from Bourton on the Water to join in.
If his application is not there, then I can chase him up.
Martin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin,

Not yet.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just heard from Peter Bromley at The Automobile - they will be running an ad for Pre-War Prescott in their July issue (half page, with the other half page taken by SU declaring their sponsorship of Pre-War Prescott), but they are also going to run an editorial for us - all very supportive and much appreciated publicity.

Entries are looking great! Just passed the 50 mark with John Nagle, Peter Hills, Derek Chatto and Ian Harris with his 10/6 special recently declared. Six Minors and two M Types at this early stage is excellent. SU, the ATC and the RAF Charitable Trust trustees are also booked in, Bob Holmes will be bringing his autojumble again and Mike Dowley is putting his five-piece rag jazz band together for the evening. And the Wolseley Hornet Specials Club has reserved 15 entries!

If you are planning to enter, do get your entry in soon - let's see if we can get a really good VMR turnout this year.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

More great news this evening - from France. Annabelle Swain, daughter of Barbara Skinner of SU fame, and one of our Honorary Members spent most of her life living in Australia, but is now resident in France. When she returned from Europe several years ago, she brought an Australian-bodied Minor Roadster with her. She now has it running and will be bringing it to Prescott, along with other members of the family including Mark, the son of Peter Skinner who campaigned the Skinner Specials in the thirties. So it should be a great SU happening this year at Prescott.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's Anabelle's roadster - she calls it the LRM - Little Red Minor.

Chassis M8249 was dispatched to the docks 7th June 1929 - the chassis was exported and bodied in Australia.

As far as I know, this will be the first time that an Australian-bodied Minor has been seen the UK - a great first for the Register, and wonderful that it will be driven by someone with such history behind her.

The car also has an interesting history. Here's my chassis notes:

"Ex-Shannons sale 7/2/05. It belonged to Austin Meredith who bought it at auction many years ago. It had belonged to ‘Cookie’, a chef character in a pub restaurant in a Soapie on Sydney TV. “Country Practice” was a very popular and long-running show. Cookie’s twin brother seized the car and sold it to recover unpaid debt and Austin purchased it. Cookie purchased the car in Taree from a service station proprietor late 60’s or early 70’s. Annabelle bought it at the Shannons auction."

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Anticipation building. Ten new entries over the weekend! This is going to be a tremendous weekend!

Jayne and I are hard at work planning Sunday. We've found some amazing Great War connections for the route.

It looks like this year we will gather an unprecedented number of special bodied Minors. Should make a great lineup at Prescott.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Promising news from SU this morning - that, after a truly heroic rebuild including building a replica of the original blown SV Minor engine, David Baldock is working hard to get the 1934 White Minor to Prescott. He brought the half-finished car on a trailer to an earlier VMR Prescott, but this time, we have the prospect of seeing both of the Skinner Minors - Red and White - reunited for the first time since before the war - if ever. And to top it off, Annabelle Swain will be bringing her Little Red Minor - see above, so after several years of waiting and hoping, a wonderful and unique Skinner Reunion is in store for this year.

The White Minor was originally constructed as a highly successful on a new 1934 chassis given by Lord Nuffield to Barbara Skinner (Annabelle's mother) as a Wedding gift in 1934, when she married John Bolster.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Exciting development in the pipeline for Pre-War Prescott. I won't be able to make a full announcement for about two weeks, but here's a teaser from Elizabeth!

"I have put Prewar Prescott in our July diary and will be delighted to be there. At the moment, I'm waiting to have a meeting with the RAF Benevolent Fund, which has been delayed because of the Easter break. As a matter of protocol, I need to have further discussions with them before I proceed with any firm plans for official launch publicity as they have said they need to make sure that what I do will not be confused, clash or compete with other initiatives or sponsoship programmes. That said, I don't foresee any real problems in that regard. Following your communication with the ****** ****** Club, I have already had some phone calls from members offering their support, which is tremendous. I look forward very much indeed to meeting you and seeing Prewar Prescott first hand - and being able to discuss all the many things that we have raised so far, and no doubt more in between."

More shortly!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Minor entries are looking VERY good! So far we have ten booked in (8 OHC and 2 SV). Last year we had a total of 12 on the day (6 OHC amd 6 SV), so it looks like we're going to easily exceed that number, and with a very strong OHC entry in particular. I am looking forward very much to seeing Annabelle Swain's 1929 Australian roadster. And it will be great to meet Alex Dempster and his family who are traveling from New Zealand to be with us.

This morning we passed the 200 mark for climbs assigned - out of an ultimate 475 or so available on the day - assuming no serious hold-ups on the hill. it is going to be a great day at Prescott and we also already have 16 entries for Sunday.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And I just got EIGHT more postal Prescott entries form Frank Ashley! It's going to be a full Paddock this year!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Further to the exciting development mentioned above, I can't give the full story just yet, but I can tell you that we have a very special pre-war Tiger Moth booked in to provide us with some air support on Saturday. There is a close vintage car connection which I cannot yet reveal, but I'll be putting out an announcement the minute I get the green light to do so from the RAF Benevolent Fund trustees.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I just had to share this e-mail just in from Julia Gibbs, D Type owner, in response to my asking her if the family would be joining us at Prescott again this year:

"Hello Ian,
Lovely to hear from you and yes we do have the date in the diary! However it is completely in the lap of the gods as to whether we will be there this year for our daughter is due to produce our first grandchild that weekend! We have suggested that she take the D up the hill, as she usually does, to get things going but I suspect it would be a bit of a squeeze and could make the marshals a bit anxious! I don't know, for a couple so enthusiastic about cars they really did not consult the diary properly! Still we can only hope that in 2105 we shall bring the next generation of MG/ classic car enthusiasts along....never too young to start. I must let Ted know as well but can promise if we can we shall be there as usual.
All good wishes, Julia"

Now there's a challenge I bet the marshals haven't faced before! If there is a birth half way up the hill, perhaps they would name the little one Pardon?! A born hillclimber - literally!
But wait - is it in the regs to collect a passenger on the way up?!