The Two Hemispheres Rally

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

The Two Hemispheres Rally

Post by Ian Grace »

As mentioned in Happenings before we left for England, we're planning a rally right here at VMR HQ in the spectacular Pacific Northwest in August 2015 - just over two years from now. The idea has been floated to various interested parties, and received a resounding thumbs up - so we are going ahead. We can get six cars in a special double-decked 40' container, so are looking at at least one container from Europe and one from the Antipodes. This will significantly reduce the cost of shipping. And of course, in addition, we will have entries from across the US and Canada.

The basic plan is to co-ordinate the shipping in 40' containers of Minors and M Types from the UK/Europe and Australia/New Zealand. The core of the rally will involve two weeks of rallying and touring, with support of additional activities extending over perhaps two more weeks, or as long an visitors would like tom stay in the area. A whole new website and Newsletter will be launched and obviously a great deal of networking among interested parties will be involved. More details will be included in the August Newsletter. We will be working with sponsors to minimize costs for what will undoubtedly be the rally of the decade. In addition to the round trip shipping of cars, there will be opportunities for one-way shipping of cars in either direction which may be of interested to those seeking to purchase cars and ship them across the globe.

Anyone who may be interested in the rally should contact VMR HQ to learn more.

More news shortly.
sv4670

Re: The Two Hemispheres Rally

Post by sv4670 »

Wow! That sounds ambitious! In the absence of a M type can I bring my model A or is that like taking coals to Newcastle?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Derek,

That would be perfectly acceptable. The main aim of the event will be to bring members together from across the globe so their cars, or indeed whether they bring a car or not (we should have a couple of spares here), are secondary considerations.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

All systems GO!

Shipping quotes have been requested and various accommodation quotes as well - including the condos at Roche Harbor for two nights. I am working to assemble a provisional itinerary with costs and options for everyone.
So far, we have 15 interested parties, 7 from the UK, two from Australia, two from New Zealand, three from the USA and one from South Africa.

All sorts of activities are being planned - including a formal civic welcome, optional white water rafting on the Skykomish River (http://www.alpineadventures.com/skykomish.html) (2 miles from VMR HQ), optional tandem sky diving (http://www.skydivesnohomish.com/)and hot air ballooning (http://www.airialballoon.com/)(Snohomish - about 15 miles from VMR HQ). William and I will also be able to fly entrants three at a time on scenic flights in our local Cessnas. And of course, whale wartching from Roche (http://www.rocheharbor.com/activities/whale-watching). Also a tour of the massive Boeing factory (the world's largest building by volume - 20 miles from VMR HQ) (http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/tours/)

As shipping, accommodation and activity information firms up a little, I will distribute the first event Newsletter later this month. Just let me know if you would like to be added to the circulation list.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I popped in to Queen City Auto here in Redmond at lunchtime.

http://queencityautorebuild.com/

Queen City is a high class auto body repair shop owned by VMR members Debbie and Mark Borman. They repair Maseratis, Ferraris, Astons and so on. Debbie's father, who founded the business owns a 1931 Hundred Pound Minor which has languished in bits atop one of their spray booths for decades. With the advent of the Two hemispheres, this has prompted them to target July 2015 to have the car fully restored and presented to Debbie's elderly father at the Two Hemispheres Rally. Since Queen City is less than half a mile from my office, I'll be able to pop in during my lunch breaks to help and advise. We'll be doubling up on a lot of the work, so there is also a good chance that I can also have my McEvoy finished for this once in a lifetime event.

Incidentally, while I was there, Kartik rolled up in his new Maserati, not that I was very impressed with his parking skills ...

KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Ian Grace wrote:
Incidentally, while I was there, Kartik rolled up in his new Maserati, not that I was very impressed with his parking skills ...
Wow !! You spotted me !! Thanks for making my Day :D :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Spent the weekend over at Lake Chelan which gave the opportunity for a recce for the Two Hemispheres. Hopefully there will be less snow by August 2015! The route from VMR HQ heads east up Stevens Pass to the summit at 4,000 ft up in the Cascade Mountains. Not a particularly steep climb, but a steady one over about 20 miles, the steepest part being the last couple of miles which are perhaps 1 in 10. The scenery is dramatic as both sides of the pass follow raging mountain rivers with plenty of rapids and waterfalls, surrounded by soaring peaks that are snow-covered all year. The east side of the pass descends for about 20 miles into Leavenworth - a mock German town where we will overnight before heading out for Chelan at the south-east end of Lake Chelan. The lake is between half a mile and a mile wide but 51 miles long, having been carved out by a glacier. At 1,500 ft depth, it is the third deepest lake in the USA. The town of Chelan with its many wineries (which we sampled) sits at the foot of the lake and the roads on each side only run a few miles, so the only way to visit Stehekin at the far end of the lake is either by floatplane, boat or a very long hike. We'll be taking the boat for a day trip - about four hours each way.

As for the trip this weekend, it was a 60th Birthday gathering for yours truly. My wife had rented a house on the lake and all the family were there. The trip east over the pass was pretty snowy, but traction tyres were only advised (the lowest level warning), and the Land Rover Discovery took it in its stride. Coming back last night was another matter entirely. Heavy snow from about the 1,000 ft level was dumping at the higher elevations. The warnings went from traction tyres advised to traction tyres required to chains required. Luckily we were able to pick up a set in Leavenworth and head up into the whiteout. I put the chains on about 10 miles from the summit and took it VERY steadily at about 30 mph. We ran out of the snow about 20 miles west of the summit, at which point the pass was closed in both directions for avalanche control. It remained closed for the next five hours, and westbound traffic was held at the summit for that time. So we were very lucky to get through before the closure and get home safely.

Would a Morris Minor make over the pass it in the summer? Definitely. We'll take our time and convoy with a modern in the rear and make stops as necessary in the chain-up lay-bys on the way up and take a break to take in the scenery. It will be a weekday morning so the traffic will be at its lightest and we'll have all day for the 70-mile run from VMR HQ over to Leavenworth. Chelan is about another 60 miles from Leavenworth and virtually flat all the way, so no problem there.

We were able over the weekend to pick up a great deal of information for the rally, and over the next few months, we'll be recceing all of the rest of the routes for the Two Hemispheres.

Here's the view from our house on the lake, taken yesterday morning:

martinng

Post by martinng »

Ian this all sounds fantastic.
However you say "Not a particularly steep climb, but a steady one over about 20 miles, the steepest part being the last couple of miles which are perhaps 1 in 10".
I do hope that this is not 20 miles in 2nd gear or we'll need to pack the ear plugs!!
Martin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ha! Well, its kinda up and down, but more up than down!

Of course, you can always turn around and go up in reverse!
martinng

Post by martinng »

So this sounds like quite an adventure. Must make note to check over the gearbox amd clutch.
I did like the sound of the 20 mile descent down to Leavenworth and thought of food and comfort at the overnight stop, followed by a jus 60 miles on the flat to Chelan.
You are putting such a lot of work into this Ian, I do hope that at the end of the day it is sufficiently affordable that we can join you.
....... and by the way Happy Birthday!

Martin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Martin.

You may have seen that Philip Young has just acquiredf a Minor and joiined the Register. He runs the Endurance rally Association who put on all sorts of long-distance rallies around the globe - including the Peking to Paris. His people have put our people in touch with their favourite shipping company and we're working up some estimates with them right now. Once we have an idea of shipping costs, then I can start working up estimates for the rally activities - accommodation, dinners, ferries, etc. and work towards a full estimate for the jaunt.
martinng

Post by martinng »

I wait with genuine interest.We need a good holiday.
Martin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin and all,

Just had some updated car shipping estimates from CARS (Classic Automotive Relocation Services). It is difficult to be precise because of all of the sundry additional charges, most of which probably won't apply, but the shipping company has to mention them just in case. But it looks like around GBP 5,500 per car - round trip based on three cars per container - including all of the loading, ocean freight, import charges, drayage, unloading, customs charges, harbour fees etc., etc. And about GBP 4,500 from Australia.

To this needs to be added all the usual holiday costs - air fares, accommodation, meals, events and so on. Here's were we can offer some flexibility in terms of providing a range of accommodation and event options, etc. So I reckon you're probably looking at about GBP 13k for the car, plus two people all in, including two air fares and all of the holiday costs. Sounds a lot, but maybe not for a holiday of a lifetime, which I promise it will be. What we need is to have entries in multiples of three!

I will also work with the shippers to see how we can mitigate as many of the charges as possible. For example, the estimate includes GBP 1,600 for drayage and unloading this end. I have access to an unloading dock about 15 miles from the Port of Seattle where I unloaded my other container a couple of years ago. The driver reresed up to the dock, opened the padlock, and myself and a couple of helprs rolled out the two cars and a Mirror dinghy in about 15 mins. I will plan to have the containers arrive a week or two in advance of the rally start date, so that we have a window of flexibility should there be any shipping/customs delays. I'll then arrange to have the cars stored locally to aweait the arrival of their owners. I think I can arrange this at no cost. Then there will be a couple of days spent locally at VMR HQ to give entrants time to overcome jetlag and get their cars sorted for the two big tours.

I'll get another Two Hemispheres newsletter out in the next few days with more details, at which point I hope to be able to start getting an idea of numbers of potential entrants now that costs are beginning to shape up.
martinng

Post by martinng »

Hi Ian the car shipping costs seem a little disappointing. Your first thought was that, "It is possible to fit six of
our cars in to a 40’ container – by double-decking the container, thereby dramatically reducing shipping costs".
This seems not to be the case now, so is it possble to find a shipper who could double up; assuming of course that there are six members wishing to particiapate.
As before I wait with interest for the next newsletter.
Martin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin,

The six-cars-to-a-container concept came from a group of MG owners who shipped six cars to the UK from Australia like this. I have discussed this possibility with a number of shippers and the conclusion is that the the cost of additional work to 'deck' forty feet of container safely (for the cars) and to build the ramps needed each end to load and unload would outweigh any saving. We'd basically have to own our own container to do this, and since we're probably looking at multiple containers, this isn't practical. I still have some other avenues to follow up, so let's see if we can better this initial estimate. The other problem is that if we're shipping saloons, we run out of height inside the container.

Ian