The Two Hemispheres Rally

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

plj

Re: The Two Hemispheres Rally

Post by plj »

Ian,
I see a number of firms supply a 45 foot container and also offer a "pallet sized" model which is 8 feet wide internally, would it be possible to fit four cars into one of these if loaded at an angle?

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Philip,

I'll look into this. I tried to stagger two Minors in a container once, and they are just too wide. Also, the shippers insist they have a couple of feet between the cars to get around them to block them in, etc. But I will check.

Thanks,

Ian
martinng

Post by martinng »

Ian, due to the car shipping costs, has the idea of this rally now faded?
I must say that the way the costs are escalating would put me on the 'doubtful' list.
Martin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Martin,

Yes, the costs have forced plans to be on ice I'm afraid. I had several potential rallyists who felt that, as this was a once-in-a-lifetime trip, the costs were secondary, but there weren't enough so-minded people to justify the enormous planning and execution undertakings - at least for now. We'll just have to see what the future holds. There have been numerous rallies like this held by other clubs before, but typically for cars worth ten times a Minor or more. It is difficult to justify rally costs exceeding the value of the car!