London-Cape Town

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Duncan

London-Cape Town

Post by Duncan »

As a non-owner (but I do have a Pembleton) I was sent a link to your site. I joined in order to follow the anniversary publishing of the diary from this amazing expedition. I thoroughly enjoyed the daily posts and can only stand in awe of the fantastic journey they made. I take my hat off to them both and extend my thanks to the site for making it available.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: London-Cape Town

Post by Ian Grace »

Duncan,

Yes it was absolutely fascinating following it in 'real time' day by day. I'd get up every morning, check my e-mail and upload the latest entry. Each day there was also all the bills, maps, etc. which I didn't have time to process and upload, but I plan to collate everything when the rally season is over and maybe put out a CD with the complete story on it. I also have the DVD of the TV programme which is absoultley fascinating and will be making that available too.

This morning, Alan Gilg sent me the complete diary with his comments and research inserted as a .doc file, together with a complete mileage matrix for the excpedition. I will add these to the foot of the Gilg page shortly.

Alan (Cameron's son) and Joyce Gilg will be at Prescott for our summer rally and Pre-War Prescott (www.prewarprescott.com) on Saturday 20th, bringing with them the original diary and many other expedition artifacts (Cameron kept EVERTYTHING!) as will Clive Holland who owns a rare, identical 1933 4-seater tourer which he will be bringing. If you get the chance, why don't you join us with the Pemberton - I'm sure I can squeze you in a run up the hill!

Ian
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thanks for your offer Ian. I did the driving school at Prescott last year in my Pembleton and as a group, we seem to have established the Vie en Bleu weekend as our annual gathering and jaunt through the Cotswolds.http://www.thepembleton.org.uk/ePAG/ePAG49/veb.shtml
Unfortunately your weekend coincides with a "Highland Fling" Pembleton week-long event around Scotland so I will not be able to attend Pre-War Prescott.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sounds like fun - have a good time!

Ian