The Gilg Expedition - 80th Anniversary

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: The Gilg Expedition - 80th Anniversary

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Duncan,

Yup - back home and just did it - transferred the above plus today's entry to the Gilg page.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Excellent, it really is an epic Boys Own Paper tale of derring-do.
As an aside, I do sheet metalwork for a living and hold the occasional "open workshop" so builders can come and do things which are difficult without the right kit. If there is anyone in the Ripon/Harrogate area who needs help or the use of equipment I'd be happy to extend the offer.
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Hi Duncan - I see you are 'local' - I have a 1933 SV Saloon and live close to Bishop Auckland; Jeff (Sprocket) has a soft top (also Bishop) and Peter Brock is working on a 4 door saloon in Newcastle.

I often have a drive to Northallerton etc - are you 'on the road' with a minor?

John Pallister
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Wonderfully evocative diary entry for today as they reach the heart of Africa.

By coincidence, Jayne and I were on a similar drive on our Honeymoon thirty years ago today - driving in a little Datsun Cherry from Malindi on the African coast to the Kilaguni Lodge in the Tsavo West reserve - a distance of some 200 miles. The road was red mud all the way. As we headed inland from the coast we left civilization - such as it was - behind after only a couple of miles. The problem was navigation. The map showed a single road from Malindi to the Tsavo East east gate. But as we progressed, we came to a very narrow fork in the road with no signpost and no obvious 'main road'. We took a guess. And then a few miles on - the same again - and then again. The 'roads' were barely discernible dirt tracks. We could see across this vast plain to mountains in the distance, but they never seemed to get any closer. The terrain was utterly remote and we hadn't seen a vehicle or a human since leaving the coast. After about 100 miles we encountered a number of fords through rivers. At the top of the slope into the river, I'd get Jayne to brace herself against the roof of the car (no seat belts) and a gunned it down into the water as fast as possible so that we had the momentum to slither up the slimy red mud slope on the far side to reach level ground again. We repeated this drill several times, each time narrowly preventing the car from sliding back into the river.

After about 150 miles of this, we gradually became more convinced that we were lost - hundreds of miles from humanity in blitzing heat, and with not a drop of water onboard. We were also worried about lions - and had no gun.

We came to a crossroads - and a wooden sign that pointed to the right to a ranch - 10 miles. We decided to turn right, find the ranch and ask the way. When we came to the ranch, it was an oasis of green in the barren scrub. Perfectly manicured gardens and a Cessna parked on the lawns. We were welcomed and learned that we had, in fact been on the right road! We returned to the crossroads, turned right, and pressed on.

Eventually, we came to the Tsavo East east Gate - what a relief! We checked through - the rangers asking where we were headed. We told them that we were headed for the west gate, gave them our ETA and this information was relayed to the rangers at the west gate so that if we didn't turn up, a search would be initiated. The rangers asked if we had come from the ranch. My answer of "No - Malindi" was greeted with derision. "Not possible!" We were told that it was the end of the rainy season and no vehicle has got through from the coast yet - not even a 4x4!"

We headed on through the reserve, through the west gate, into Tsavo West and finally reached the Kilaguni game lodge just in time for dinner overlooking the water hole with its congregation of elephants, water buffalo and other beasts. By now our white Datsun was bright red from the red mud. I opened the boot to retrieve our suitcase - the suitcase was red too - as was everything in it when we opened it - the red mud and dust gets into everything! A piccaninny asked "Car wash, Sir?" We paid him to wash the car. (However, next morning, it remained red and untouched - lesson learned!)

Looking back, we must have been mad to set out at all - let alone with no provisions or survival gear whatsoever, and in such a 'light' car. And of course, we never knew at that time what heroic drive was being undertaken by a Morris Minor exactly fifty years earlier.

mike houston

Post by mike houston »

Ian,
Just to say thank you for all the trouble you are taking in transcribing the Gilg diary. It really must be a labour of love, and makes for a great read, very entertaining. You have to admire the spirit with which this journey was undertaken. The diary tells of a past age, a real piece of history. Thanks again,
Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Appreciate that Mike, but the real work is being done by Andrew Gilg, one of Cameron's sons who is transcribing his Father's diary and he e-mails me daily. His e-mails await me every morning and I put in web format, add to the page and upload about 6-30 a.m. daily before heading for the office - so about 2-30 Pip Emma each day UK time.

I agree that the content is absolutely captivating, giving us an unfiltered view back into the thirties when our cars were new.
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

A copy of the "Turn Left - The Riffs Have Risen" is on ebay right now

here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turn-Left-The ... 20d20bc102
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'm working on the Gilg-themed nav rally route for July - which includes lots of left turns, and may be a few Riffs too! :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It by no means certain, but we might be on the track of rediscovering Gilg's original cine films in an archive in the UK. We now know where they went. If we're successful, this will be a hugely significant find. Watch this space...

In the meantime, we also have a DVD copy of the original Yorkshire TV programme that we showed at Prescott last July, and will be producing copies to sell, with all proceeds going to the RAF Charitable Trust. Watch this space too!
plj

Post by plj »

Can you put my name down for one please.

Regards,

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Certainly Philip.

I'll probably add an order sheet to the November Newsletter, but I'll start the list with you.
plj

Post by plj »

Hi Ian,

Are the DVD's likely before Christmas?

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Not likely I'm afraid. The print shop is extremely busy with large Christmas orders right now, and it was a monumental effort to get the Winter Magazine produced in time.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just a quick note to say that the Gilg DVD's have shipped with M 149 to those who ordered a copy. I have ten copies left if anyone would like one. GBP 20 each including worldwide posting.

Ian
sv4670

Post by sv4670 »

Hi Ian

I mentioned sometime ago that I believed there was a chance of tracking down the original cine film from the Gilg expedition. Well here is the update: the film is believed to be stored in the Yorkshire Film Archive. A chap that used to work at Yorkshire Television, and was actually involved in making the TV programme about the trip, has tried to track down the film by visiting the archive. Sad to say he has not been successful. I think it has something to do with the staff that maintain the archive rather than for a lack of effort. Still, if someone else wants to have go...