Midland Weekend 2013, 13th/14th July

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Midland Weekend 2013, 13th/14th July

Post by Ian Grace »

The VMR Midland Weekend will take place over the weekend preceding our Summer Rally (not the weekend after as mentioned in the December Newsletter!). So the dates will be Saturday/Sunday 13th/14th July. (This event is really the second Northern Weekend - but our Yorkshire members lost no time in pointing out that Leicester is NOT in the North!)

We'll be gathering at the charming and magnificent Manor Farm, Peatling Magna, just south of leicester, as guests of Brian and Heidi Maeers, with plenty of local B&B's and unlimited camping and trailer parking on the farm.

On Saturday, we'll run some relaxing, simple driving tests around the farm and have the chance to drive each other's cars on the private land. In the evening, we are planning a Hog Roast on the farm which should make for a wonderful evening. On Sunday morning, we'll assemble and head off to Gaydon to join in the Morris Centenary celebrations with the Bullnose Morris Club and other Morris clubs.

So make a note of this, and the following weekend Summer Rally for a great vintage motoring July!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Midland Weekend 2013, 13th/14th July

Post by Ian Grace »

Another small snafu - the entry form attached to the March Newsletter states that the Hog Roast is on Friday evening - it will actually be on the Saturday evening. I'll make the correction.

It'll be alright on the night. :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Any more takers for this event?

After last week's e-mail appeal for a strong entry, the list stands at Jayne and I, Col Schiller and his family from Australia in their Morris Major, and Philip Butland and his wife in a Morris Minor.

The Schillers and Jayne and I are flying to the UK, from Australia and the USA respectively, a week early to be at Peatling Magna for this weekend, so can we maybe have a few more home-grown entries? :o
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,

Any increase in numbers yet? Don't suppose it's worth running for six of us.
My minor will not be on the road this year, major engine rebuild under way so the 8 Tourer will be pressed into service again.

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Definitely going ahead. Mike Norrey and his grandson just entered, and Brian and Heidi's son Justin has entered his OHC Minor saloon which has not been out and about for many years. Also we have about six local VSCC members' cars entered, so its going to be a fun weekend.

I've swithced your Prescott entry from the Minor to the 8.
plj

Post by plj »

Thanks Ian,
Do I recall that you wanted a brake/clutch shaft? Sure it was you but can't find the post anywhere.

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes! Could you bring it to Manor Farm?

You're a star!

Ian
plj

Post by plj »

Will do, not sure about the star business though :o

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks! :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Re the story today on the home page, there's a lot more to this. I was one of three 'first line' Engineering Officers working around the clock on 42 Sqn. at RAF St. Mawgan, Cornwall during the late seventies/early eighties - at the height of the Cold War, when we were tracking Russian submarines and other surface vessels in the Atlantic and northern seas as part of the UK commitment to NATO. These were busy days. The last time I saw a Nimrod, let alone '26', was the day I left RAF St. Mawgan and was posted to RAF Brize Norton as OC Allied Command Europe Mobile Force, Tactical Communications Wing. I arrived at Brize on 1st April 1982 - the day before the Falklands invasion. But that is a story for another day.

42 Sqn. was my first RAF Sqn. and as such is very special to me, as are the Nimrods I looked after and operated - including 26. I can't tell you what it will mean to be reaquainted with this illustrious old warrior. I have arranged with the Museum to conduct a guided tour of the aircraft on Saturday morning. Whether or not you are joining us on the Midland Weekend, if you can make it, you won't be disappointed.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It's almost here - Jayne and I fly to Manchester from Seattle (via Frankfurt!) two weeks today.

We'll be heading straight for Manor Farm and then we'll be in the Cock Inn in the village on Friday evening. Can't wait to see everyone there.
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,
After an indifferent summer, yet again, high pressure seems to have arrived and is forecast for the foreseeable future. Could be good for the two events!!
Look forward to seeing you at "The Cock" on Friday having left home at lunchtime and aiming to reach Peatling Magna about 5'ish. Is there anyone to contact re parking of motorhome and trailer on the farm as the whole outfit is 11.5 metres long so not very suited for pub car parks etc.
Regards,

Philip

ps will bring you some pics of my £100 2-seater body on a CD.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Philip,

From Brian on Saturday: "Also in the orchard will be Philip Butland in his campervan. I will ensure a sign will be placed..."

See you Friday night,

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Fantastic fun over the weekend. Brian was the consummate host. The visit to the Bruntingthorpe Cold War Jets collection brought back many memories. Then a run to the pub, driving tests at Manor Farm and a superb BBQ in the evening. Super gathering at Gaydon yesterday - all under cloudless skies. Unfortunately, Col Schiller's new Major had a fire that has done significant damage, but he may have it sorted for Prescott next Saturday.

Brian loaned us a tourer for the weekend so we could actually take part!

Now on the way to the Lakes for a couple of days before heading back down to the Cotswolds.