VMR Summer Rally 2013

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

VMR Summer Rally 2013

Post by Ian Grace »

Just a quick heads up that we will very probably be making history at Prescott next July with the meeting after many decades of the Red and White Minors. David Baldock is getting very close to firing up the blown 1934 Skinner Special, and from the photos he's been sending me, I can tell you that this is a sensational and heroic rebuild.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: VMR Summer Rally 2013

Post by Ian Grace »

Date for Pre-War Prescott 2013 confirmed today as Saturday 20th July, so our Summer Rally will be that weekend and the Midlands Rally the previous weekend, based at Manor Farm, Peatling Magna in Leucestershire, courtesy of Brian and Heidi Maeers with a run to Gaydon for the Morris Cars Centenary on Sunday 14th.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Today I submitted our application to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight for air support over Prescott next July. So far, we are two for two - with the Lancaster in 2011 and a Spitfire last year. In 2013, Pre-War Prescott again coincides with RIAT at nearby Fairfoed, so I am hopeful of making it three for three. It will take a few weeks before we know but I will pass on any news as I receive it.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Two small updates this week. First, Air Vice Marshal Rick Charles who is one of the Trustees of the RAF Charitable Trust has written to say that he has suggested to his Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) ops team that if they get the chance they should consider routing other vintage aircraft involved in RIAT over Prescott. I replied that the more close air support we get - the better! RIAT is the main source of income for the RAF CT, but our small contribution is very warmly welcomed. For the 2013 event, we plan to considerably expand the lunchtime auction which proved so popular this year.

We have also engaged Fiona Harrison again to anchor the evening entertainment on Saturday night at the BBQ, so another great evening is in store.
sv4670

Post by sv4670 »

Navigation rally.

I see the entry form states that entrants for the navigation rally will have to produce a MOT certificate for the car. Is this correct? :?: A MOT test costs in excess of £50 so this makes entering the rally rather expensive. The VSCC do not require a MOT for their navigation rallies. :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Derek,

That is a hang over from last year's form - now unnecessary. Thanks for pointing this out. I will remove said verbiage from the form.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Loads going on as we plan for the Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott 2013. Today I've been sorting out pubs for the weekend. Looks like Friday evening will be at the Shutter Inn, Gotherington. Still looking for Sunday evening. The Sunday lunch pub is selected, now I'm looking for the cream teas venue for the afternoon. BBQ booked for Saturday evening, with Fiona Harrison to entertain again. Motor Wheel Services will be joining us again, and fitting tyres in the paddock. SU will be sponsoring us again of course, and Mike Dowley will be bringing his C Type again, but says if anyone wants any spares, let him know and he will bring them with him. Bob Holmes has confirmed for his autojumble stall, as has Formhalls. And we will be welcoming more of the Gilg family this year as they celebrate the 80th Anniversary of their father's epic drive to Cape Town. 19 entries received so far, so things are definitely warming up for a great weekend.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Negotiations continue between the VMR and Bernie Ecclestone to deconflict Our Summer Rally with the 2013 Formula 1 calendar for the weekend of 19th/21st July.

See the TBA on the F1 calendar at http://mobile.formula1.com/races/

:D :D :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Tremendous news arrived this morning - the RAF's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight has awarded us a Hawker Hurricane display for Saturday at Prescott. This is the third year in a row that we have been supported by the BBMF - with the Lancaster in 2011, a Spitfire last year and now a Hurricane for this year. Six Merlin engines and counting!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And this just in from AVM Rick Charles - RAFCT Trustee.

"Good news indeed Ian. In addition, Director RIAT has at the request of the trustees of RAFCT tasked RIAT Air Ops to try and route at least one vintage aircraft over Prescott."

Prescott is 18nm NNW od RAF Fairford, so fingers crossed.

Receipt of this e-mail was doubly good news, as Rick - who joined us ay Prescott last year - suffered a brain tumour shortly afterwards and this is the first e-mail I have received from him since before his hospitalization. I have been kept up to date with his condition by a mutual RAF friend.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I have confirmed the Shutter Inn, Gotherington for our informal reception on Friday 19th July.

http://www.shutterinn.co.uk
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Three months today - get your entries in!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Last night we bought our tickets. Flying Seattle to Manchester via Frankfurt Thursday 11th, then driving to Peatling Magna for the weekend. Flying out of Heathrow for Chicago Thursday 25th July for Oshkosh and then back to Seattle Saturday 27th. So there's no escape now! :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Delighted to annoucne that this year's Sunday rally/tour will conclude with tea and cake at the spectacular Stanway House, home of Lord Wemyss. Rallyists from last year will undoubtedly remember the incredible 300 ft gravity fountain, and His Lordship has very generously offered to run it again - twice - for us this year at the conclusion of the day. NOT to be missed!

(I missed seeing the fountain last year as I had to hang around at Prescott for late starters and the show was all over by the time Jayne and I got to Stanway, so I am particularly pleased to know that we should be able to see it this year!)

http://www.stanwayfountain.co.uk/fountain.html
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

In twelve years, we have never held an AGM, but it crossed my mind that we might organize one on Saturday at Prescott, since last year, we gathered about 10% of the entire membership in the Paddock, which was quite an achievement. The day is hectic for me, but we should be able to gather for a short meeting some time during the afternoon.

Let's give it a try this year and see if it works! Any agenda items?!