Northern Weekend 28th/29th July 2012

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Northern Weekend 28th/29th July 2012

Post by Ian Grace »

As you may have seen on the website, we are organizing a Northern Weekend next year - on the weekend following the Summer Rally at Prescott. This week has seen a hail of e-mails among our northern members, and the announcement on the website is the result of input from many members. I wanted to keep the discussion off the forum until the 'locals' had had a chance to set the scene, and now that that is done, we'd be interested to hear from any other members - in the south, or over in Europe that might like to participate.

This will be a completely different weekend from our usual Summer Rally - with an emphasis on socializing and enjoying the scenery of the Pennines, as well as some of the local history. As many will be coming from relatively large distances, we are going to make participation as easy as possible, with trailer parking, a mid-morning start on Saturday and an early finish on Sunday. Depending on numbers and our hotel search, we hope to accommodate everyone together and or course anyone arriving on Friday will be able to gather in the bar on Friday evening. As mentioned on the website, there will be no competitive aspect to the weekend and no entry fee, but there will be one or two awards presented at the dinner on Saturday night.

So please send me (non-binding) expressions of interest so that we can arrange for accommodation accordingly.
Eberhard

Re: Northern Weekend 28th/29th July 2012

Post by Eberhard »

Summer Rally Friday 20th July to Sunday 22nd July

Northern Weekend Friday 27th July to Sunday 29th July

The 2012 Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo 3-25 August

Good time for making holidays... :D

Greetings, Eberhard
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Eberhard,

That looks like a great plan!

Jayne and I are very much looking forward to meeting you both.

I will check out suitable camping sites for your camper around Romaldkirk, and there is plenty of camping space at Prescott for the Summer Rally the weekend before.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

16 couples have so far expressed interest in the weekend. Local men John Pallister and Peter Brock are doing a superb job locally, sorting accomodation and planning the routes. This is going to be a very enjoyable weekend.
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Hi all,

now the days become longer and my wife and me are looking forward to our holidays! ;-)
Have a little look to a German magazin, may be that there will be more Germans than me at the other event:

:mrgreen:

Best regards,

Eberhard
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

We have already had our first entry - and it came from Germany - a chap with an MG, and he has booked ten climbs!

Perhaps we should advertise Pre-War Prescott in this German magazine?

Ian
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Ian Grace wrote:We have already had our first entry - and it came from Germany - a chap with an MG, and he has booked ten climbs!
Not a poor boy... or only anxiuos about the great clutch of british drivers? 8)
Ian Grace wrote:Perhaps we should advertise Pre-War Prescott in this German magazine?
Yes, would be not bad. I just read in both magazins, there´s nothing to find except the story I showed above.

termineservice [at] oldtimer-markt.de
termineservice [at] british-classics.de
Same house.

Well, now there is time for the family-evening. The girls were cooking drinking a glass of champagne or two and I have to eat a good smelling meal. ufff... :wink:

Psssst... My wife will get a useful present for chrismas: Yesterday arrived the new frontwheel for her bike. Electric frontwheel. :wink: Next week the conversion will start.

Have a nice Holy Evening and don´t drink to much. 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I heard from Eberhard this week who tells me that because of issues in Germany, he and Gudrun won't be able to travel to the UK this summer.

However, the Northern Weekend is very much ON and I'll be updating details in the next few days. I'll also be distributing an entry form. Even though there is no entry fee, we need to know who is coming so that we have numbers for the Saturday evening dinner, etc.

Jayne and I are planning to head north from the Cotswolds on the Monday morning after the Summer rally and take a cottage in Teesdale for the week, and we're definitely looking forward to a few quiet days in the dales between the two weekends. This will also give us the opportunity to check out the tour routes for Saturday and Sunday.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Routes being finalized, entry form about to be published with the July Newsletter and on the website.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter Brock has sent across the final routes for the Saturday and Sunday tours, and they look super. The Entry Form has now been circulated and once we have numbers, we'll organize the Saturday night dinner at a suitable hostelry. Here are the route summaries:

Saturday Route Summary

The route is a round trip of 80 miles and takes in some of the best scenery of the North Pennines, designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It includes forests, hills, wild moorland and rivers and the pretty villages and historic towns along the way. Starting at the village of Romaldkirk near Barnard Castle in County Durham it takes the road up Weardale to the Cumbrian town of Alston, the highest market town in England. The tour returns via Upper Teesdale, where a stop can be made to visit one of England’s highest waterfalls at High Force, before following the Tees valley back to Barnard Castle (before the shops close).

Sunday Route Summary

A round trip of 60 miles, starting at Romaldkirk, (with directions for anyone joining at Barnard Castle).
The route heads towards Barnard Castle and then South, crossing the busy A66 dual carriageway (with caution). The next section is the hardest part of the route. Cutting through the forest is a long steep climb (feared by cyclists) called the Stang with a couple of testing hairpin bends at the top. This leads into the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The road then drops down into Arkengarthdale arriving in the village of Reeth, the location for a stop and refreshments. Returning up Arkengarthdale the route arrives at The Tan Hill Inn, generally recognised as being the highest pub in England at 1,732 feet (528 m) above sea level. After passing through Brough the road takes the high Pennine fells, passing Selset and Grassholme reservoirs, arriving back at the starting point at Romaldkirk. (60 miles)

More detailed route instructions with a map etc. will be handed out on the day or downloaded from the website.
ColinWLee

Post by ColinWLee »

Hi Guys
Just booked The Teesdale Hotel. Its about 3.5 miles from Romaldkirk in Middleton-in-Teesdale.
So see you at the rally.
Lets hope the weather is kind :)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Colin,

Great news - a southerner entry! I suppose I'll be considered a westerner entry. :D I won't have a Minor there, sadly, but I'll be 'sweeping' the route with the rental car and a tow rope!

I think the plan is to rebuild the D Type ASAP and position it with some friends in England for use when we are over. Hopefully, it won'tt ake too many years - but we all know how that works out. :o

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the current entry list - looks like around15 souls in the party so far:

Ian and Jayne Grace
Peter Burt
Mike Norrey and wife
Colin Lee - and daughter?
John Pallister and wife
Mike and Sue Batey
Stuart and Glenda Clark
Walter and Liz Watson
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Replaced the broken brake cable and wheel stud from last weekend, bags packed and ready to set off to Teesdale. OK so only 20 miles and no rain in sight for tomorrow or the weekend!
weather Barnard Castle.jpg
weather Barnard Castle.jpg (89.07 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
Hope to see you all at the Rose and Crown, Romaldkirk at 7 - 7.30 ish on Friday night or 9am in front of the Rose and Crown on Saturday morning.

John
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

I am pleased to report that the weather did, on the whole, behave itself. Some Sun, some rain, some cloud - normal sort of UK summer offering. Sixteen folks sat down for dinner at the Rose and Crown on Saturday night to celebrate an enjoyable and challeging ride around Weardale and Teesdale, and to prepare for Sunday's expedition into Arkengarthdale and on to the Highest Pub in the UK.

I have posted a few Peter's photo's to set the scene. I am sure that Ian/Peter have a plan for sharing the complete collection at some point.
Hamsterley.jpg
Hamsterley.jpg (136.6 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
Arkengarthdale.jpg
Arkengarthdale.jpg (98.01 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
Bowes Museum.jpg
Bowes Museum.jpg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 3696 times