Northern Weekend 28th/29th July 2012

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Northern Weekend 28th/29th July 2012

Post by Ian Grace »

There was much discussion at the weekend as to the venue for next year's Northern Rally. A location a little further south in the Midlands was suggested and this fits in perfectly with the fact the it is the big Morris Centenary Rally at Gaydon on Sunday 14th July - the weekend before our Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott.

There was also some discussion at Prescott as to whether to bring Pre-War Prescott forward one week to 'decouple' it from the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford, as the RAF Charitable Trust trustees cannot make Prescott on the same day they are busy at Fairford. But because of Gaydon next year, this reset in the date of PWP won't happen until at least 2014.

In the meantime, put the dates on the garage wall - 13th/14th July 2013 - the VMR Midlands Rally and Morris Centenary Rally, and our Summer Rally in the Cotswolds 20th/21st with Pre-War Prescott Saturday 20th July. Should be a super couple of weekends!
ColinWLee

Post by ColinWLee »

A lovely weekend. Thanks to all who organised it :D
Sadly, I had to leave the rally before lunch on Sunday to return home to Kent.
I think the midlands next year will provide a better attendance if only for the distance factor.
Book me in please :lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I can now officially announce that the Midlands Weekend (otherwise to be known as NOT the Northern Weekend!) will take place over the weekend of 13th/14th July 2013 - the week BEFORE the Summer Rally and Pre-War Prescott. Rally HQ will be Manor Farm, Peatling Magna where we will be graciously hosted by Brian and Heidi Maeers. Various activities will be organized for Saturday, probably including a short tour in the morning with driving tests on the farm in the afternoon, followed by a BBQ in the evening, with camping for all who wish to. On Sunday morning we shall assemble en masse for the short drive to Gaydon to join the Morris Centenary Rally. Should be another two super weekends, and they can't come soon enough!
Toby

Post by Toby »

surely the centenary rally is in oxfordshire 15th and 16th june? :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

There are at least two centenary rallies being organized - see the other thread!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I just picked this up from the VSCC forum - any takes please contact Paul Wignall directly. This is a super opportunity for the VMR to fly the flag on national TV!

"Cars needed in North Yorkshire for TV programme "The Dales"

The TV programme "The Dales" wishes to film a vintage car run through Wensleydale and Swaledale on Thursday August 30th so Paul Wignall is organising a "Vintage Moors and Heather Jaunt". This will start at Berry's Farm Shop at Swinithwaite in Wensleydale, 5 miles west of Leyburn on the A684. Meet for coffee at 10.00/10.30 with a route probably going to Aysgarth Falls, then over Askrigg Moor into Swaledale and back over Redmire Moor via Bolton Castle to finish at Berry's for lunch.

A minimum of twelve cars is needed. There is no financial incentive unfortunately but there is a very good chance all the cars will be featured on this National TV programme.

If you would like to take part please contact Paul directly - Paul Wignall Tel: 01969 623585 or e mail pwignall145@btinternet.com"
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Thanks Ian - I have signed up for what sounds like a nice little ride around in the sunshine (hopefully). Wonder how many 'mountains' that they can integrate into the route?

John
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Honey and Heather Rally: not another Morris in sight and not even an MG in the car park. Three Austins and lot of very nice looking cars that had come from all over the country, just to be on Teleee! The rain hammered down all night but managed to behave itself during the day. We had a pleasant 40 mile drive to the event and then followed the rally route through quite a bit of countryside that we had not seen previously. I combed my hair but am not sure whether we will feature in the video/Tv. A few photos:
Line_up_1.jpg
Line_up_1.jpg (132.92 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
Line_up_2.jpg
Line_up_2.jpg (115.64 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
Heather_2.jpg
Heather_2.jpg (72.58 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
Heather_1.jpg
Heather_1.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks for flying the VMR - and the SV Minor flag! Nice mix of marques. Pity it was wet and gray.
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

eMail just in from Paul who organised the 'Heather and Honey' ride-out last year:

Hello John,
The Dales programme started last Monday and it goes out at 8.00pm. The episode that features the Heather and Honey run is due to be screened on August 5th.
The Heather and Honey run will be held on Aug 29 th this year. I will be in touch near the date with details.
Rgds
Paul

I suspect that the camera was following the 'fancy' cars. The Minor might get some attention.

We still have the sprig of heather that they gave us last year. It has survived on the mantle piece, above a coal fire that has been fired continuously since October!

I will post details of the programme and 'Run' (loads and loads of hills, but very enjoyable) when I get them.

John
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

In case there is nothing else on TV tonight http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cmkkn ... episode-12
peterb

Post by peterb »

Interesting assortment of cars - including JP's Minor. Lovely countryside.
If you missed it ... also on ITV Player (although may not be available in all regions)