Tyres

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Mike Stubbings

Tyres

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi All, It is possible I shall be wanting some new tyres for my 32 Minor. I have looked around and know what is available and at what cost. What I would like to know is what if any seem to be the best for the Minor. Thanks Mike.
Ronald

Re: Tyres

Post by Ronald »

Simon

Post by Simon »

Do not forget the Blockley tyres . They are reproductions of the three block Dunlops originally fitted.
Last edited by Simon on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Absolutely, they would be my tyre of choice for any Minor or M.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello,

The blockley tyres are very nice to look at but I have heard and seen that they wear very fast with the soft compound ruber.
What about the Excelsior with the same looks ?

Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, Excelsior are equally good I hear. Surprised to hear the Blockleys wear fast - they are in general use by the racing fraternity, but I suppose they only have to last a few laps! :D
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Thanks for all your replies I have looked at all these and would have gone for Blockley but have also heard that they wear quickly. Mike.
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Excelsior tyres are first class and reasonable prices. I have them on the 10/4. Got mine from North Hants Tyres in Fleet.

Paul.
halbe

Post by halbe »

They are also my choice , especially because I don't expect to be as sporty as a MG J4 or Ctype :lol:
Optimum road holding is not as important for me, I would rather have them last a bit longer....

Regards,
Halbe
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

do you mean these........???????
http://www.northhantstyres.com/main%20t ... 019exc.htm

be aware, that they're more like a 350 than a 400........ and as such, can look a bit skimpy...! just my opinion............
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

The 3 stud tyres that I am using are called Classico. When I bought them I think they were the only 3 stud type available, but they seem to be wearing well. I have also seen an Excelsior tyre that is 3 stud. I am sure I have read that Blockleys are available in different compounds.

Sticky tyres are not recommended for cars like ours - instead of the dreaded side-slip they tend to topple over.

Ian
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

The Excelsior which looks like the Blockley is also a racing tyre.Mike.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

What is wrong with Avon sidecar tyres 350 x 19 ? I have 5 on my 1932 Minor two seater and they have worn well over the six years I have driven her. I was at a 80th Birthday party last week - 1929 Austin 7, and about a dozen Austins turned up all on Avons. Clive Loveless had two brand new tyres and tubes with him so they must still be made. I have done well over 10,000 miles on mine - what mileage do you do? , or expect to do? Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I have always used either Avon triple-duty 350x19 sidecar tyres or the more expensive Dunlop 400x19s. These newer tyres are nice because they reproduce the original triple-stud tread pattern. But other than that, the Dunlop or Avons are fine.
D Johnson

Post by D Johnson »

You can also get a 350 that looks like a classico from longstons there not as soft as a blockly. I have used them on an Austin and am very satisfied. i also use Avon side car tires which are equally as good but don’t look quite as nice. If you want cheep blockleys where the cheapest at one point.

Hope this helps and doesn’t add more confusion

David