A few questions

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Alice

A few questions

Post by Alice »

As I am rebuilding from a disparate pile of old bits, I keep finding things that I don't know about.
Where do the clutch and brake pedal return springs anchor? My guess is a bracket of some sort attached by one of the bell housing bolts.
If this is so, can anyone provide a pic or sketch of such a fitting please.

Similarly, does the little hole in a thin part of the alloy gearbox bell housing provide an anchor point for an accelerator return spring?

On the gearbox-mounted starter switch, what is the correct orientation of the two cable terminals, ie horizontal or at an angle and if the latter which way should they go (there are three possibilities as I see it).

About 10 years ago I asked for info on the "12/12" camshaft, with no reply.
I would like to know the profile (lift, opening & closing angles, overlap) so I can compare that with a beautiful reground shaft that I acquired and suspect is not standard.

And finally can anyone suggest how best to revitalise a gearlever knob that has been subject to the elements for years.
It is whole and not cracked or crazed, just very dull and a little dirty looking.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: A few questions

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Barry,

Let's see if I can help with some of this.

First, re the brake and clutch return spring anchorage. Yes, this is a flat plate steel bracket attached to the appropriate bellhousing bolt. I'll see if I can dig out a photo.

The throttle pedal return spring is a long one and fits between a small hole on the brass throttle arm on the LEFT, carburetter side and anchors down below. I 'll look for a photo of this too.

Re the starter button, the two terminals should be oriented left/right, perpendicular to the car's centre line.

Now to dig out some pictures, unless anyone else has some handy?
peterb

Post by peterb »

I have picture of these items c. 1934, but what car is this for ?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter, it is for an OHC car, but these arrangements should be the same as on the SV.

Here's a shot of the prototype SV Minor JO 764 which just shows the throttle return spring attached to the brass lever just behind the carburetter. Cannot see where the other end is attached. Most Minors I have had have had it anchored on a small clip attached to the starter motor commutator cover band securing screw.

(Notice that the car seems to be fitted with an OHC Minor radiator - look at the routing of the lower hose!)

peterb

Post by peterb »

To add to Ian's information...
Here's the master switch/ starter button arrangement on my 1934 Minor saloon. It may be quite different to your car, but might help in planning a layout.
The long throttle spring is attached to a hole in the operating arm at one end and a projecting piece on the starter motor band.
The brake and clutch pedal springs are fixed to a plate attached to a bell-housing bolt - as suggested.
Attachments
Throttle-spring.jpg
Throttle-spring.jpg (627.04 KiB) Viewed 5882 times
MasterSWStarter1934.jpg
MasterSWStarter1934.jpg (568.8 KiB) Viewed 5882 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter,

Yes, that throttle spring attachment on the starter is what I have seen on most Minors. I suspect the shot of the prototype SV Minor was not a standard configuration for some reason. Presumably it was the same on OHC and SV Minors, which is my experience with both types.

As my gearbox is out of the McEvoy right now, I should have the pedal spring anchor plate somewhere in my boxes of bits. If I can find it, I can make a drawing.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter,

Yes, that throttle spring attachment on the starter is what I have seen on most Minors. I suspect the shot of the prototype SV Minor was not a standard configuration for some reason. Presumably it was the same on OHC and SV Minors, which is my experience with both types.

As my gearbox is out of the McEvoy right now, I should have the pedal spring anchor plate somewhere in my boxes of bits. If I can find it, I can make a drawing.
Alice

Post by Alice »

OK, I'll buy the idea of the throttle spring anchored to the starter cover strap, although I find that a bit "bush mechanic" given the sophistication (complexity) of just about everything else mechanical on a Minor. (I judge complexity by comparing the work of Bill Morris with that of Herbie Austin via my beloved A7).
That just leaves the matter of gearlever knobs and 12/12 cams to be answered, given that hopefully someone may come up with a pic or sketch of the pedal spring anchor bracket.
Thanks fellas.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Forget to add in that post that I believe I have found what the wee hole in the alloy bell housing flange and the depression in the iron bell housing are for.
They would line up nicely with the cable terminal on a starter when fitted, so probably a clip on the alloy part to hold the cable coming from the switch and the recess to accomodate the cable below the floorboards.
peterb

Post by peterb »

The long spring gives smoother control of the throttle pedal.
I've tried a shorter one and it tended to 'bounce' especially when on uneven roads (of which you'll have plenty no doubt !)
Here's the layout in the Morris Parts List
Attachments
PLATE C1 - Controls ws.jpg
PLATE C1 - Controls ws.jpg (301.04 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
peterb

Post by peterb »

This may not apply to your car but I think this is what the pedal spring bracket looks like. Mine was missing and so I can't be sure it's correct. However I've seen similar ones on other Minors.
The rounded large end gives it a bit of adjustment and the option of bolting it on either side of the flange also means it can be suited to the spring length and position.
On my car the pedal for the hydraulic brakes has a return spring as well as the clutch. The two holes in the bracket will accommodate both springs, but to improve the alignment I made an extension bracket.
Attachments
pedal-spring-bracket.jpg
pedal-spring-bracket.jpg (341.96 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, the bracket in your middle picture is the correct original bracket.