Transmission handbrakes

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Transmission handbrakes

Post by Ian Grace »

I was just looking out some transmission handbrake images when I came across one of John Emmet's images of his M Type box.

On the Minor transmission handbrake, there was a single adjustable connecting rod with an adjustment turnbuckle barrel between the handbrake lever and the cast lever pivoted on the back of the gearbox - see below.

On John's M Type box, there is a right-angle intermediate flat steel bellcrank pivoted on a steel bracket mounted on the back of the gearbox. I have never seen anything like this before on a Minor so I'm left wondering if that was a modification/improvement introduced by MG or was this a 'home-made' mod. added at a later date. It looks like a mod. to me. It does improve the geometry somewhat, but is not adjustable. Does anyone else have this arrangement on their M box?

I'm actually searching for one of those Minor adjustable intermediate connecting rods for new member Paul Brigden if anyone has a spare.

Picture 1 - the Minor transmission handbrake:

Picture 2 - John's M Type transmission handbrake:

Picture 3 - the Minor gearbox with brake levers removed. The two studs visible that attach the rear gearbox casting are lengthened in John's box to mount the bellcrank mounting: