Clutch pedal shaft removal

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Alice

Clutch pedal shaft removal

Post by Alice »

I am in the process of stripping an early gearbox (with the handbrake on it), which has a lot of rust and other gunk.
My question is how does one remove the clutch pedal shaft from the bell housing?
I suspect it involves removing the bush on the pedal end, thus giving enough wriggle room to remove the shaft.
Problem is that after about 87 years I fear the bush will be well and truly "grown" into the alloy housing, and any serious bashing of the bush could break the bell housing!
Anybody got any suggestions (or pics) on the removal?
martinng

Re: Clutch pedal shaft removal

Post by martinng »

From what I remember when I did this about a year ago, what you say is correct. The bush needs to freed up on the shaft and bell housing to allow it slip out of position. The shaft can then be slipped out of the bush on the handbrake side and then withdrawn from the bell housing to that side.
The particular problem I had was that I had great difficulty removing the clutch pedal, which is essential in order to withdraw the shaft. The cotter pin came out easily enough, but the pedal had seized on the shaft.
Need to use a lot of anti seize material WD40 or similar (I think some use diesel) to avoid using force on the aluminium.
The picture shows my refurbed shaft with just the fixed end bush in place. The pedal-end bush then pushes down the shaft and into position.
The other picture is the shaft that I had built up with weld and then turned down to fit two new PB bushes. This is sadly still on my spare gear box, which needs its own rebuild.
Maybe one day I'll complete the job.
Attachments
Refurbed shaft
Refurbed shaft
IMGP6968s.jpg (55.36 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Refurbed shaft. End bush only in posiiton
Refurbed shaft. End bush only in posiiton
IMGP7013s.jpg (124.67 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Alice

Re: Clutch pedal shaft removal

Post by Alice »

Thanks Martin, you confirmed my thoughts. I finished up using a long-series 1/4 inch drill down beside the pedal shaft and into the bush in 2 places on a diameter.
This allowed me to free up the bush enough to bash it out of the housing. Of course the drill ran off a bit towards the softer alloy, leaving a couple of gouges that I will have to bog up.
Once out, the recessed areas of the bush were seen to be packed with a pretty looking but rock hard green / white speckled mix of corroded brass and oxidised alloy. This obviously expanded enough to securely jam the bush in the housing.
On a good note, I was able to remove a complete bush from one of my 3 spare gear boxes, (after cutting through the rusted-in pedal shaft), giving me a bush to repair and fit.