Couple of useful mods

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Couple of useful mods

Post by Ian Grace »

Derek Chatto, who is currently rebuilding his M Type send in these two interesting mods that he is incorporating. He reports:

"You will know well the problem with damaged backplates and how the brake shoe fixed pivot and brake cam bosses twist in the backplate. I fear the much improved brakes will result in damaged backplates but luckily I have a suggestion that will overcome this.

My solution has been to weld a shaped plate to the back plate to help support the boss of the brake shoe pivot. The plate is a tight fit over the boss - do not weld it as it will distort the boss. The plate is fillet welded the brake backplate. This simple modification greatly increases the strength of the connection between boss and the back plate will avoid future problems.

The next development I have been working on is to strengthen the hubs of the wheels. Three out of five of my wheels had cracks in the welds that join the central tube of the hub to the flange. It is a pretty poor design really and no wonder they crack. I repaired my wheel hubs by machining out the welds and re-welding but do not want the problem to reoccur.

My solution has been to fit triangular gussets between the flange and central tube. I designed and made a template for the gusset in cardboard and then had this drawn up using a computer aided design package. The data file was fed into a computer controlled abrasive water jet cutting machine and I had a batch of 100 off gussets made from 3 mm thick steel. If anyone would like a set I can help out.

"