LED lights

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

LED lights

Post by Ian Grace »

This from Peter Hills this morning. Peter has converted his 1929 Minor tourer to LED lights. He lives in Putney, London and the Minor is his only car, so good lights are definitely required!

"For £100 I replaced all bulbs on my Minor with LEDs from Peter Jury of http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com info@dynamoregulatorconversions.com. Peter knows his stuff and provides an excellent service.

I fitted bulbs to the main head lamps, Side Lights, Rear lights Ignition lamp and Map Reading lamp above the instrument panel. All were single element but now I am planning to fit indicators and brake lights I should have got the dual element LEDs. Perhaps I should have also got the dual LED for main beams so I can dip or ‘flash’ my lights! I recently acquired a M8 horn/dip/indicator control arm. Primarily as I felt it awkward to sound the horn on the button low down the steering column.

At the recent Moreg Thoresby meet we won 2nd Prize (in 1992 won 1st) same car now with 6,400 miles on it! I saw a Minor with hinged indicator lights that I thought an excellent idea so will pursue sourcing and fitting them. I have seen some motor cycles and trucks with lights on rubber storks which would be perfect for hideaway lamps.

Those who used Semaphore Trafficators Arms, Peter Jury sells replacement bulbs that flash automatically. I suspect he also supplies the same for larger turn indicating lights obviating the need for a flasher unit.

Fitting the LEDs was easy but note in some LEDs the other case is not earthed. Instead there is a separate terminal and you may need to run an earth wire.

Frankly it is a no brainer fitting LEDs. Before, with tungsten bulbs and all switched on, my ammeter was hard negative, perhaps drawing 15+ amps. Now, there is hardly a flicker on the ammeter but the great effect is that the light output is like a modern vehicle and now I can drive during the day with lights on as a safety measure to others that a vintage Morris Minor is raging about!"
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: LED lights

Post by Ian Grace »

Note: For those wishing to pursue this approach, or to discuss any other dynamo or charging issues, Peter will be at the Beaulieu Autojumble this weekend - Red field - Stall 117.
rmburnett

Post by rmburnett »

I've heard that LED bulbs are not so great for the headlamps; bright but not providing such good light on the road. I wonder if this is because their larger size compared to a filament does not produce a less well-focused beam.

Could anyone with experience please comment?

Roger
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

My LED headlamp bulbs are very bright front on, but are definitely not as good as tungsten bulbs at lighting the road ahead, but the advantages - low current consumption and being able to use them in rain and low 'daylight' conditions - outweigh this significant disadvantage. I keep tungsten headlamp bulbs on board in case I need better light ahead.
I have fitted one LED lantern into the original rear tail/number plate light and it is almost too bright! I have not converted my other side lights as they have for 50 years doubled as indicators (white at front and red at rear - yes still legal)! I know that LED flashers need to be worked by a dedicated flasher unit.
minor178

Post by minor178 »

I was interested to see the discussion re LED lights. I have just ordered a wiring loom from Bruce Sharman in WA. Will have wires for indicators and two tail & brake lights. I will most likely install LED lights. On my Oxford I located the indicator switch on the drivers’ side of the dash using a “period” switch and linked it to an audible reversing alarm so I can’t forget it is on.
Just took a pile of bits to be chrome plated and my head/side lights/radiator shell to a Morris Register member for repair. He is a Master Instrument repairer, as in Brass instruments e.g. trumpets; tubas; etc., and although these people are few and far between they are worth thinking about if anyone needs brass repairing. The one rule is don’t try to fix it yourself first.
Just spent a frustrating day fitting door handles. I had fitted in the internal door mechanisms, and that was fine, but I forgot that the external shell is curved so the shaft and the hole are at different angles. At this rate of learning by mistakes I should be an expert pretty soon!

Keith Montell
moonlight frolic 11

Post by moonlight frolic 11 »

I have converted to dipping LED headlights from 35W halogens on my Minor. When I measured the light output of each type with an incident light meter I found to my disappointment that the LEDS were "two F stops" dimmer. To a non-photographer that means one quarter the light output! Although 35W bulbs are frowned upon as too stressful for the dynamo all I can say that in 50 years of ownership I am still on my original dynamo.