Tourer Upholstery

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Bruce Murray

Tourer Upholstery

Post by Bruce Murray »

Am about to have the upholstery made for my 1929 Morris Minor and have no idea as to any patterns or pockets on the door and rear panels ....If any member has any photos of an original car before it was restored or after it would be most helpful. The seats still have the original upholstery under a few other covers so I can copy them
Also what is the size of the ball bearings at the top of the steering column
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Tourer Upholstery

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Bruce,

I'm thinking that the tourer panels might be the same as the ones in the saloons - or very close. I will take some photos of my original fabric saloon interior and post them here. I can also take measurements. I also have the original carpets if you would like details.

As for the steering column ball bearings, all I know is that they are supposed to be round! If nobody else knows, I'll take one out of my McEvoy column and measure it.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here you go - a few general shots to get going with. Come back with any questions.

Is there anyone out there with original interior trim in their tourer?

Bruce Murray

Post by Bruce Murray »

Thanks Ian your photos give me a idea as what the upholstery should look like but I am a little disappoint not to see any more photos of a tourer ....here in New Zealand there is only one Minor on the road which belongs to Neville Wilson in Napier and he is a great help....and I did work out what size balls were needed fot the top of the steering column 3/16 in seem to work........
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Bruce,

Glad this was a partial help. In July, I'll be seeing my old 1929 tourer VF 6700 at Prescott. It was restored by a previous owner and the upholstery was redone very accurately to the original material. So I will make a note to take a good set of interior photos of it for you - if you can wait to about the end of July for them?
amershamlad

Post by amershamlad »

Hi Guys,

A long time since this post but I wondered if photos of the 1929 tourer interior were ever located as I should dearly like to reproduce my missing interior as accurately as possible?

Paul
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Paul,

I was probably too busy on the day to take the promised photos!

I'll e-mail you with contact details of the owner who I'm sure would be happy to take photos for you. The interior was not the original, but I believe it was copied very accurately - including the blue linoleum pinned to the floorboards.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's a 1960's photo of Terry Synnott's tourer - currently under long-term restoration with Terry in Sevenoaks. It shows what I believe is its original interior quite well. This is GC 2938, chassis M17707, which was bodied 17th December 1929.