Side valve Morris cam washer

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

D Johnson

Side valve Morris cam washer

Post by D Johnson »

Hi all,

I am missing the washer that sits behind the cam shaft roller bearing. Does any one have a drawing of one so I can make a replacing.

Thanks

David
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Side valve Morris cam washer

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi David,

I guess you are talking about the front bearing. Thought that was a ball race, with the roller race (L908) at the rear. I'm away from my material right now, but if it is anything like the OHC, there should beat least a thrust washer or two. I'll check over the weekend - unless someone else can jump in and help?

Ian
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,
It's a plain washer that fits in front of the roller bearing, I'll try and find one to measure tomorrow.

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ah, that makes sense - couldn't see how one would fit behind the rear bearing! I'll probably need one for my McEvoy engine as the cam is out of that!
plj

Post by plj »

Apologies, went to VSCC Brooklands driving tests today, will definitely measure the washer tomorrow.

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Was just thinking about the Brooklands DT's today - any Minors or M's taking part? Was Clive there? How was the weather?

Ian
plj

Post by plj »

Found it, o/d 1.745", i/d 0.957", thickness 0.0625". Incidentally I recall a Minor owner, who rebuilt his engine a couple of years ago, drilled a series of holes in this washer as he felt the rear cam lobes were starved of oil.

You already have a report and some photos for the Brooklands driving tests so just the weather needs to be addressed, I think if one said it would not be conducive to the well-being of "brass monkeys" it would sum it up well, at least it was dry.

Philip
moonlight frolic 11

Post by moonlight frolic 11 »

Hi, just read this post rather late! Yes it was me. I just couldn't see how any oil spray could get to the rear roller with this large washer blocking the path. And it seems that bearing wear was therefore rather excessive. Perhaps I should have made the holes even bigger!
9919s.jpg
9919s.jpg (147.96 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
9888s.jpg
9888s.jpg (61.95 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great photos of this very interesting mod. Incidentally, I am missing the pressed steel cover plate that fits over this bearing for my McEvoy engine. Does anyone have a spare by any chance?

All the very best for 2016!

Ian
moonlight frolic 11

Post by moonlight frolic 11 »

I'm sure I have a few in one of my crates Ian & the three set screws for it.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

That would be great Mike - thanks. Ian